Bog in a bag

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Can't see that anyone has posted about this.

It was on Dragons' Den last night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0146455/Dragons_Den_Series_9_Episode_5/

about 15mins 44 secs in.

It is a tripod stool (!) with a hole in it. You put a plastic bag in the hole, do your business and then dispose of it.

I actually think it is a good idea and for those who want to go to the woods where there are no toilets, but, say, have weak knees etc then it could be useful. At first sight it looks like an easy mod to do. For example:
  • existing large tripod stool - or you could have a posh version based on a chair
  • cut hole in seat
  • stitch on some velcro
  • fix a flap on with the velcro
  • have a supply of large bags, possibly with some wood shavings in
Plus I would want to fix some kind of plate or lump of wood at the bottom of the tripod legs to avoid them sinking into soft ground. Tripod chairs can easily tip over so could get messy if that happens when using them in 'commode' mode.

I would have thought that thick paper bags - made of the sort used for potato bags - would be better than plastic as you could then burn it.

Who's going to be the first to do a mod and report back on the field tests???

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If you have weak knees carry a tree hugger strap with you and fix handles on each loop. When nature calls wrap the strap around a tree and lean back on it, similar to the old french toilets.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you have one of these,

STEEL-STOOL-FUT184.jpg

just invert it, and you will see a pair of support rails. Put your bag, pail or whatever on the canvas, there you go...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... about 15mins 44 secs ...

Thanks for the, er, heads up Chris, but I don't know if I want to spend that long ... :)

Not sure about the paper bag idea. Most paper gets pretty weak when wet. There's no great problem with burning polythene bags. Polythene molecules are just longer chain versions of the same molecules that you get in your camping gas stove, so as long as you don't let it melt into a big blob which will stay there for centuries it presents no more issues than burning any other hydrocarbon fuel.

Materials like PVC on the other hand must be avoided, the combustion products include dioxins which are very harmful.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
May be a cord or strap to act like the seat does on the top side, but that seems a good idea....
If you have one of these,

STEEL-STOOL-FUT184.jpg

just invert it, and you will see a pair of support rails. Put your bag, pail or whatever on the canvas, there you go...

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The difference between PVC and polythene was a subtlety that had escaped me - how do you tell the difference?

As regards the other suggestions on 'seating arrangements' I still think the variations on the idea of a hole in a seat/commode-type are the best ones. For example, they make a single use item, that you may well have with you anyway, into a multi-purpose one and should be more comfortable.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Re price - the woman on Dragons' Den said she was currently selling them for about £20 - confirmed at the web site:

http://www.boginabag.co.uk/buy-boginabag-products.aspx

Re "What's wrong with croopying down behind a hedge?"

Absolutely nothing so far as I am concerened. But for some folk it gets more difficult as they get older, or if they have some kind of disability. or problem with their legs

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What a surprise, Peter Jones just sneered at it, Duncan Bannatyne slagged it off and Deborah Meaden looked like she'd been gargling its contents. I hope she makes a success of it.

I'm going on Dragon's Den next week with a product. It's some solar cells that you wear as huge shoulder pads. I wonder which Dragon will invest in me...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm going on there with some venison pies.

Once they've had a taste I'll tell them that I'm not looking to sell the pies
but I will sell the antidote to the poison I put in them to the highest offer.
Sit back and watch the bidding frenzy.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The difference between PVC and polythene was a subtlety that had escaped me - how do you tell the difference?...

Yikes! This is important stuff. The most important bit being the 'C' in PVC.

One way to tell the difference is to burn a sample, but there may be better ways. Polythene burns in air with a blue-tinged but sooty flame, producing only carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and water. Burning PVC in air produces horrendously sooty smoke, lots of hydrochloric acid which is a gas that you won't see, and other compounds that we'll get to later. Both polythene and PVC melt when they burn and you don't want the molten, burning stuff anywhere near your skin, but that isn't the half of it.

The simplest way to tell is usually to look at it. You'll very often find it's written on it. :) The recycling symbol (a sort of curvy-pointed triangle made from arrows) on most plastic things thesedays tells you without much doubt.

http://www.earthodyssey.com/symbols.html

Polythene is made from ethylene gas (which usually comes from oil fractionation). It is available in several forms which differ primarily, but not by much, in density. All are less dense than water so they float. PVC is around 30% to 40% denser than water so it sinks, obviously for example unless it's a football.

Polythene is used primarily for packaging, things like freezer bags, carrier bags and bin liners. It's also used for pipes and electrical insulation in things like your TV aerial cable. It's 'floppier' than PVC so you can tell the difference by feel when you're used to it. When we talk about a "poly bag" it's usually polythene. Dyneema is polythene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene

PVC is used for a much wider range of things like stationery products, upholstery, furniture, floor tiles, pipes (less flexible than polythene pipes), window frames, and things like those cheap air beds that people take to the pool... a very very long list indeed. Toys used to account for a lot of PVC usage but nowadays there's a tendency to move away from it for that sort of thing on health grounds.

Both making and burning PVC can produce some extremely dangerous very long-lived toxins. The 'C' in PVC is from chlorine. Burning PVC, especially at low temperatures such as in a stove or camp fire, can produce dioxins and organic chlorine compounds. Some of these compounds have been infamous since for example being used as pesticides, found in our food, then in ourselves, then in our offspring (through mothers' milk) and eventually banned world-wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexachlorobenzene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_dibenzodioxins

The Union Carbide disaster in Bhopal in 1984 produced large quantities of such toxins which to this day pollute the environment and are found in the human and animal populations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Burning PVC in landfill and other waste sites is responsible for serious pollution and damage to the environment in many other parts of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pvc

The only responsible way to dispose of PVC is to get it to professional recyclers. Local governments are the unsung heroes of this story, they can burn it safely in high-temperature incinerators and the heat produced is often used e.g. for local heating schemes. Such installations are common in some parts of the world but we haven't exactly been are the forefront of development in the UK. There's one under construction in Derby at the moment, and about 200 metres from where I'm sitting there's a feedstock plant for it, which will collect local refuse, sort it, and send appropriate materials to the Derby plant for incineration. I have a stack of PVC waste to take round there once it starts operating.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
What a surprise, Peter Jones just sneered at it,

i would have preferred her response to him to have been a bit more 'on the attack'.

I could make one, I'm sure, if I really wanted to. just like I can make a stove, make a tent, make a coat, etc. i probably wouldn't bother though, just like lots of other people, if you can buy one for a reasonable price. I would love to see what Peter Jones could knock up. ;)

It's not something I would buy but I can see it as a good product. She could do with a better looking bag though! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE