BlueTrain here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
It isn't often that I get a chance to write a biography, so here goes.

I live in a suburb of Washington, DC, surrounded by trees, deer, foxes and lots and lots of people. There is still a lot of woods nearby, none of it owned by me, however. For more woods, I go west about 70 miles (I do not go kilometers) for either national park, national forest or trespassing. Or I can keep going further west to West Virginia where I'm from to the deep dark woods.

I served in the US Army when the British Army was still in battledress, or at least some still were, mostly in an infantry division headquarters in Germany. Now my son is serving as a tank crewman in a tank battalion, also in Germany. My wife teaches school and can't stand West Virginia, the woods, log houses or the US Army.

My family has lived in Virginia since around 1650 and I'm the first one in my line not born there since they got here. But I did come back.

I have all sorts of interests, including the British Army, an interest I picked up when I was in that other army. Other more relevant interests are camping, hiking, shooting and general study of old fashioned camping practices. I not really a survivalist in any sense of the word but I was once described as a four-wheeler. That surprised me, even though I really was at the time. Nowadays, I don't know of any place where you could actually do four-wheeling, yet 4x4's have multiplied greatly where I live, only they don't call them that.

Shooting wise, after owning most versions of Lee-Enfields, I have a couple of 6.5x55 rifles I've been playing with. I have a few others but none worth mentioning. I am beginning to forget things faster than I am learning new things. But mostly I seem to be interested in old things.

There may be other things worth mentioning but I can't think of any at the moment.

"We are here to help others. The question is, what are the others here for?"

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
You're an Anglophyle(?- spelling) deep down.
Idid a "falling plate" many moons ago with a LE(no4) 303 & a M1 Garand, the LE one hands down.
I think you will be very at home here, pull up a log round the camp fire.
Neil

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I am generally happy with where I live, yet I would move at the drop of a hat. I've lived in this one house longer than any other but no roots have taken hold, even though my next door neighbor has lived in his house even longer. What happens next is another story.

Curiously enough, even though I live in a place near thick woods that have as much wildlife as anywhere in West Virginia (no lions or bears, but bears have been seen in the county), there are a million people living in the county (Fairfax County, Virginia). How is that possible? Supposedly there is a deer herd living within Washington, D.C. (Rock Creek Park). And to top it off, beaver cut down one of the Japanese cherry trees near the Jefferson Monument. There are, in fact, beaver dams within a mile of my house.

I'm also a TinTin fan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE