Blowpipe/Darts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Hi,

I got bored the other week and decided to make a Blowpipe.

I used a 3ft length of PVC pipe, 21.5mm diameter. Bamboo BBQ skewers for the darts, wooden beads and duct tape for the feathers. Used the same duct tape and wrapped the PVC pipe in for a graphic effect.

Cost me under £10, and took under 10 minuets to make.

It's pretty deadly, penetrates my garden fence and a hard plastic model of a magpie. Range is around 100 feet? It goes the full length of my garden and impales the fence but I reckon it will go a hell of a lot further. Next time I'll use a smaller diameter pipe and make it 4-5ft in length for more power and range.

axolotlchris-albums-test-picture38920-blowgun.jpg

axolotlchris-albums-test-picture38922-blowgun-pipe.jpg

axolotlchris-albums-test-picture38921-blowgun-darts.jpg

[video=youtube;9bs7XrlYH_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bs7XrlYH_4[/video]

[video=youtube;mCTGxS6MPwE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCTGxS6MPwE[/video]

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Illigal in the UK mate

Even on your own property?

I've seen indigenous tribes use blowpipes with impressive results. I watched a program which showed how they split wood, hollow out each side and then reattach them to create the hollow pipe. Thought it was an interesting project.

Will have to think twice then!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
because in the mid 80's there was an add in a Martial arts magazine that had throwing stars, flick knives, ninja guff and blow guns, some home office sap used it as the basis of the criminal justice act and banned the lot. Ironically the seller was out of stock if nunchuks so they weren't banned. I believe it was in response to increased football trouble at the time.

because in the mid 80's there was an add in a Martial arts magazine that had throwing stars, flick knives, ninja guff and blow guns, some home office sap used it as the basis of the criminal justice act and banned the lot. Ironically the seller was out of stock if nunchuks so they weren't banned. I believe it was in response to increased football trouble at the time.

sounds silly that they got banned just because of an ad in a magazine ( I believe you! :D) -- without poison you can do only limited damage I'd say....

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I once had a go on a blowpipe a mate brought back from South America. It had fallen in two somehow en-route and it was fascinating to see how the inside tube was shaped so it got progressively narrower towards the muzzle; not just a cylinder like your pipe. We bodged it together with gaffer tape for a test with some improvised darts. The pipe seemed to amplify the force of your blow. The last test was to see how much damage it could do to a wooden target hanging in a tree so I gave it a good hard puff. I missed the target and the tree. The dart was still heading upwards when we lost sight of it!

Z

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
There's always someone that ruins the fun for everyone else >.<

Zingmo that pipe sounds interesting! Would love to take a look at how it is shaped internally, must be an art and science to crafting a blowpipe that can really perform.

Mine is quite accurate, just takes time to learn how to aim and a count for wind.

I thought I was going to be hunting dinner with my blowpipe! :lmao:

Last edited:

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Are pea shooters banned too?

I read the same question on another forum earlier. But I can't see a kid shooting chewed up paper through a biro pen tube getting arrested ;)

I think pea shooters are toy versions of blowpipes, so I don't think they are illegal unless you change the projectile perhaps?

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
"a system of complementary medicine in which fine needles are inserted in the skin at specific points along what are considered to be lines of energy (meridians), used in the treatment of various physical and mental conditions."

So really we can perform a medicinal service, blowing the needles into the lines of energy in the body. If we accidentally hit a squirrel or rabbit in the process, then its just an added bonus of dinner :rolleyes:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The primary use of a blowpipe in England is for acupuncture on ugly/smelly people so you don't have to get to close....

Rob

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Somebody should tell Amazon UK who are selling them, probably as toys. It would be a shame to close the thread as their history is fascinating right up to 19th century English naturalists with cunningly adapted walking sticks and one of the villains in a Sherlock Holmes story.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE