Blow pipe hunting in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Is it illegal ?

If so does anyone have a link to the relevant legislation ?

( and are Cormorants on the protected list ? )

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Blowpipes are illegal full stop Robbi

Offensive Weapons Act 1959-1961 Prohibited Items

the weapon sometimes known as a “blowpipe” or “blow gun”, being a hollow tube through which darts or hard pellets are propelled by the use of breath;

Cormorants are neither game birds under the WCA 1981 nor covered under the current General Licence so they are not legal to shoot (all birds are protected unless specifically on the general licence or game birds)

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/generallicences.aspx#2013

Last edited:

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
Cormorants ,as BR said, are like all birds protected . They can be shot for fishery protection in limited circumstances and in very limited numbers but only with the relevant licence . These were until recently issued by a slow process . You almost had to give the individual bird's name and address and make sure you killed the right one!
I believe the process has recently undergone some realistic changes but basically you can't just go out and kill a cormorant just because its annoying you .

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As Green Weasel states Cormorants are a protected species, but you can apply for a licence from DEFRA to shoot them, a licence will be granted only if you can prove you have made 'all reasonable efforts' to deter them from taking fish from your water/fishery, even then the licence will be for a limited number of birds, I applied for and got a licence for one of the fisheries i look after, i was limited to six birds on my licence, even though there were many more than that at the water most days.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
As Green Weasel states Cormorants are a protected species, but you can apply for a licence from DEFRA to shoot them, a licence will be granted only if you can prove you have made 'all reasonable efforts' to deter them from taking fish from your water/fishery, even the licence will be for a limited number of birds, I applied and got a licence for one of the fisheries i look after, i was limited to six birds on my licence, even though there were many more than that at the water most days.

But not with a blowgun eh? ;)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Does that mean mallards are protected, and what about virmin species such as Canada geese?

As for the blow pipe, the only time I have seen these used is in conjunction with poison. You might greviously injure a sparrow enough to catch it but I think that's all ! And I would think a poison dart gun would be legal, just something about poison dart gun seems a but like death stars, and flick knives!

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Does that mean mallards are protected, and what about virmin species such as Canada geese?

Canada Geese are on the General Licence so may be shot for causing damage etc. Mallards are a quarry species (game bird) under the WCA so may be shot in the season.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE