Blasted squirrels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am sure they are much tastier than the blasted Turkey I am forced to eat tonight!

We never had turkey when I was little. Chicken on Sunday and a Capon or Goose on holidays like Christmas. Steak pie at the New Year.
You never hear of Capons now. I understand that castrating them is not a simple matter, and animal welfare got involved too.
Thing was though, a capon was like a chicken on steroids without any additional chemicals added. It just didn't stop growing so it was a big young bird, juicy and a lot of eating in one.

Much nicer than squirrels I suppose, but then the squirrels are free ranging, and plentiful.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I gave up putting out sunflower seed for the birds.
Very attractive until the squirrels found the feeders and ENLARGED the openings.
You're invited to help me. Be so kind as to keep the blood spatters off the balcony doors, would you mind?

I thought the thread title should be "Blasting Squirrels" with innovative methods for removal.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In their defence ….. A lot of our woodland is too young. Although classified as Semi Natural Ancient Woodland much of it is less than 150 years old. Consequently the trees are very 'tidy' and of little use to many birds etc. It was pointed out to me that greys 'age' a wood with their destructive habits. There may be some truth in that.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Toddy, same here. Turkey is not in my family's food culture.
Capon is nice, very nice. We can get it here, from Canada, but it is truly expensive.
We buy one about once a year.
Son is brought up in the true English customs, and demands a Turkey. as he is going away over the Christmas/ New Year, tonight is Turkey dinner!

We brined it last night.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I only use the air rifle on greys; that way I can shoot them in the trees as well as on the ground. The .22 I reserve for bunnies :)
Understood and indeed I have a Theoben Eliminator for just such engagement with Ol' Flicker Tail but I have the good fortune to live out my dream of Fall squirrel hunting with a rimfire as was once even more common in the backwoods of the US, each UK Autumn. Indeed the rifle in the picture is one of the first Cooper Arms "Jackson Squirrel Rifles" produced for this very purpose.

My 50 years of squirrel hunting with a rifle has taught me one thing: The critters eventually come down from the canopy!

K

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Old forests here are sterile forests. The ecological niches are so sophisticated that few animals can fit in.
Chun T'oh Whudujut ( The Ancient Forest), west of my place, has not been burnt in 4,000 years. No birds sing.
Logged off and/or burnt, the forests of the Taiga become a vibrant chaos of regeneration.
Lots of animals of all sorts, lots of opportunities, I suppose. Tree rats included.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I understand fully they can be a nuisance, buy hurting them?
No.

I have to agree. There's a line between thoroughly inconveniencing them or restricting their access, and hurting them. A clean shot is one thing, but tormenting them like that is cruel.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That torment is no more than a reaction to pulsed static electricity.
There's essentially no amperage behind it.
That equipment is used in ranch fencing all over North America.

Suppose you don't want to lose $10,000.00 every night as the deer eat all of your grafted
apple tree stock to be sold over the next 2 years? Give 'em a BUZZ that they will remember.

Personally, a .22cal between the eyes is far more economical.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah I don't see why squirrels should get a special pass for electric fencing?
It's worldwide probably the most effective excepted non passive means of keeping animals where you want them or don't want them

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Youtube is full of people being "inventive" to deal with squirrels taking food put out for birds. There are Squirrel-pults and launchers, electrified feeders, water cannons, and greased feeder poles, as well as traps and shooting. You can also buy chilli pepper sprays to treat your feed with, which the birds are not meant to be affected by, but squirrels don't like. Some people have had fun putting up obstacle courses, only to prove that the Grey Squirrel is smart, agile and persistent.

All these have greater or lesser effectiveness. Of all of them, I think the electric fence arrangement is probably the most effective (although with that fine seed a lot was getting knocked off). The aim is to train them without causing serious injury and at the same time not to make the feeder so awkward that the birds stop using it. My parents feed the birds and I eventually bought them peanut feeders in a cage which is meant to allow small birds in and keep squirrels out. Sort of works, but the birds don't like it as much as an open feeder and noticeably fewer come to feed on that particular feeder.

Personally, if I were given a choice, I would rather get zapped by an electric fence a few times than shot dead, and I am sure that if the squirrels could talk, they would agree!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Whatever you do, don't let them take up residence - they stink the place out (from experience :( )

As greys are classified as an invasive species I believe it is illegal to release them once trapped - you are required to despatch them. That was certainly the case at one time and I don't think it's changed.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Don't know how things stand up your way, but down here it is illegal to release grey squirrels. If you trap them you are legally obliged to kill them. However, you cannot kill them just any which way, you have to do it in a humane manner (or do it in the dark of the moon when no one can see to report how you did the deed). There was a case, I think, of someone being prosecuted by the RSPCA for drowning a squirrel in a live trap.

It does pose a problem if you want to do more than merely make things a little more of a challenge for them. Not everyone can have or use an air rifle in their garden, and that leaves grabbing and clubbing. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE