Blasted squirrels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
“You have to think about one shot. One shot is what it’s all about. A squirrel’s gotta be taken with one shot.”
— Klenchblaize

Reactions: Janne

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nice to spend money on research. UKP 1.1 million..

Another way is to start killing them now.

They will never be eradicated, but with a severe ongoing cull the Reds can hopefully expand their areas/

Neh, shooting and trapping is never going to work - the research is all about contraception which stands a chance. But, but, but - we need to be sure it doesn't enter the food chain, is not picked up by and affect other species etc. hence the research.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If they taste OK, I'd use the resource in a sustained yield sort of a way.
.22cal pellets and bullets would seem the best dispatch.
Who might you have for competition? Foxes? Ravens?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's very little that takes a grey squirrel. Buzzards (note Buteo buteo not vultures :) ) are too slow and the only tree dwelling predators are pine martens that are very rare.

The young are taken by crows, ravens and larger birds of prey but the adults are left alone. I know a falconer that has two Harris Hawks that won't go near grey squirrels :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How many sets of hind quarters would make a reasonable meal with other stuff?
I keep coming back to the idea of a nice curry cream sauce or a stir fry with veg.

I think I could feed the birds again and snare the resident squirrel but my enthusiasm has gone out with the tide.

Squirrels have never been common here, that I've noticed. I don't go into the forests
more than 5-7 times per grouse season like I used to. To see a squirrel is luck.
Same goes for out "bush-bunny" rabbits.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest, depending on your appetite, I only do two per person if they're full grown, especially in a curry when I may make a vegetable curry side-dish. However, the younger ones are easier (less time) to cook.

You can do anything you can do with chicken or rabbit. I do squirrel satay, squirrel korma, squirrel biriyani and include them in mixed game pie. They can usually benefit from a little simmering to tenderise the meat. Stir fry would only work with the youngsters.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Neh, shooting and trapping is never going to work - the research is all about contraception which stands a chance. But, but, but - we need to be sure it doesn't enter the food chain, is not picked up by and affect other species etc. hence the research.
Contraception?
They need to find a vehicle for the medication only the Greys eat. Will not be easy.

I think the Greys will stay for the rest of times.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Harvest them like a crop. Take off the excess population.
True, your first cold shot has to be the winner.
That makes for a relief in the competition for resources.
Maybe survivorship goes up a little, mortality during the life span goes down a little.

Sure would be fun to be able to go out, say quarterly, and have a bit of a shoot.
Sell the tails to the arts crowd for paleo paint brushes. They do work rather well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's very little that takes a grey squirrel. Buzzards (note Buteo buteo not vultures :) ) are too slow and the only tree dwelling predators are pine martens that are very rare.

The young are taken by crows, ravens and larger birds of prey but the adults are left alone. I know a falconer that has two Harris Hawks that won't go near grey squirrels :)

Round here the cats take the young squirrels, if they can get past Mama. So do the magpies, but again, only if they can get past Mama.
I know a tree surgeon who was 50' up a tree when he suddenly, "had a face full of squirrel", and realised that her drey was in the fork where he was about to put his boot.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A very large proportion of our greys are in parks and gardens in towns. There is no way on this earth that we'll license people with guns, even air rifles, to go around shooting them and the public outcry would cost any Government their vote.

No, unless the contraception works, they're here for good.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Then the piblic just wasted over a million.

I do not think the eco system cares which squirrel is around, the red or grey, as the grey has been established for so many (squrrel) generations.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
A very large proportion of our greys are in parks and gardens in towns. There is no way on this earth that we'll license people with guns, even air rifles, to go around shooting them and the public outcry would cost any Government their vote.

No, unless the contraception works, they're here for good.
They tried culling in the 50 and 60 i believe.They paid 3 groats and some woad or something at your local police station. Failed . The problem isnt the fact that greys are better than reds, reds have hung on due to the fact that they are more adapted to corniferous forests, but the fact that greys are resistant to diseases that bite the reds. If you cull greys you are only evening up the loss throughdisease, the greys will come back.

Edit

Sorry the greys are the disease carriers to the reds

http://www.northernredsquirrels.org.uk/squirrels/squirrel-pox-virus/

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE