Blanket(s) or sleeping bag ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ah only for some, most of the world still gets by with wool blankets or similar. That isn't to say that those folks wouldn't jump at the chance of owning a decent bag. :)

There you go then, I'm a spoilt westerner basking in the indulgent luxury of a sleeping bag while the poor of the world or masochistic bushcrafters huddle in a blanket of two. You are right about people jumping at the chance of decent bag, same as they dump the loin cloth in favour of shorts and shirts along with a reliable Bic lighter etc, why? because they all work better; we on the other hand have the cash and spare time to 'master Ye Olde ways' :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...There you go then, I'm a spoilt westerner basking in the indulgent luxury of a sleeping bag..."

We are all spoiled westerners in comparison I guess. :)

My point was that 98% or so of the world are using a blanket of some kind while sleeping out and although some are undoubtedly freezing to death because they don't have a decent down bag, most are getting by.

My own experience of using a blanket is that for prolonged use in inclement conditions (20 days +) then a blanket is the better choice, especially if its being used around or near an open fire. However a decent blanket is both bulky and heavy and if one plans for a lot of traveling on foot, a modern bag is arguably the better choice.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
There you go then, I'm a spoilt westerner basking in the indulgent luxury of a sleeping bag while the poor of the world or masochistic bushcrafters huddle in a blanket of two. You are right about people jumping at the chance of decent bag, same as they dump the loin cloth in favour of shorts and shirts along with a reliable Bic lighter etc, why? because they all work better; we on the other hand have the cash and spare time to 'master Ye Olde ways' :)

You are right of course Rik, but there is a lot to be said for a blanket. Even in very cold conditions, you can spend the night under the stars, next to a warming fire with a blanket round you - it's pretty nice. Not so good if it's lashing with rain, but if it's dry and cold, an open fire and a blanket is hard to beat. They are pretty versatile too. Marry one up with a light, down sleeping bag and you add a season rating, but you have the versatility of a cloak or wrap or.... whatever. I'm not sure I'd swap my army arctic bag for a small down bag + blanket, but it's tempting.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Does felting a wool blanket improve its thermal qualities, and is felting done simply by putting the blanket thru' a v.hot or boil wash, or is there more to it than that?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Until you've slept under wool, you will never know what spoiled is ...

Did Ian, not impressed. Had wool blankets at home, mom would only use Whitney and then one day I went to bed and the blankets were gone, replaced by a down quilt :) the was back in the 60's. Had to use blankets with the scouts, bloody miserable experiences they were too. No sorry, a nice tartan blanket is fine to sit on when you have a basket full of picnic food, heaps of tomatoes and lashing of ginger beer etc but stuff them when camping; I want my warmth guaranteed.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm not promoting blankets in favour of sleeping bags but, personally, I do find that the feel of wool next to my skin is very pleasant. I think that 'Treadlightly' might be heading in the right direction; perhaps a wool sleeping bag liner would be the thing.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have an old army wool sleeping bag which is either the answer or the worst of both worlds, depending on your point of view. It is not as warm as a down/good synthetic filled modern bag and does not allow the freedom of movement of a blanket. However, I like it and often use it, sometimes with a blanket over the top.

A

Allseasons

How about this for an answer: I don't like sleeping bags either. Far too restrictive and if i need to tend to something very quickly its a struggle to get out of a bag quickly especially in the dark. So I use an american army issue poncho liner. It's a quilted nylon blanket about 6ft x 6ft. It's thin but warm enough to sleep well in the winter provided you've got insulation under you. I never use a roll mat etc, always prefering to make my own bed from resources around me. its got ties all round the edges so if you want to you can double it over and sleep inside it like a bag, but i generally just wrap it round me and snuggle up. Oh, and it cost me 15 quid brand new....

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Allseasons, ive got a US poncho liner which i sometimes use for extra warmth added to other things eg blankets, sleeping bag etc,but in my opinion its nowhere near warm enough by itself for winter,you either sleep very warm or are as tough as John Wayne's saddle bags!

StigOfTheDump

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2007
Galloway
Does felting a wool blanket improve its thermal qualities, and is felting done simply by putting the blanket thru' a v.hot or boil wash, or is there more to it than that?

I would have thought it would ruin it from a thermal point of view, since it would trap less air, though it might make it marginally more wind proof.

Wool is better next to a fire, it doesn't melt, and its easy to escape from.

Sleeping bags are better for tents. But you are trapped inside a nylon maggot.

A

Allseasons

i've used mine all year through. So long as you have a long fire going all night its fine by me!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Sleeping bags are better for tents. But you are trapped inside a nylon maggot.

I've always been too feart to try using woolen blankets.

I used to use an old 80's moonbag (foil lined) and a cheap tesco envelope sleeping bag to catch condensation from a shell scrape basha.

Thanks to Limaed and Tiger Stacker I can now sleep warmer with an arctic issue bag and a bivi bag.

I once awoke disorientated and face down (trapped) in 58 maggot - won't forget that in a hurry...

Liam

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Liam i was assuming you'd come from the day's when man used Mammoth hides and the likes to keep warm,sorry ive been living under a false image of you for so long!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Liam i was assuming you'd come from the day's when man used Mammoth hides and the likes to keep warm,sorry ive been living under a false image of you for so long!

Not false at all mate, although I thought I'd managed to hide it better (pun intended).

I no longer use the mammoth skins in public in case the animal rights activists blame me for their extinction.

Liam :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE