Blanket Coat (Capote)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've had a six point Whitney blanket for a few years, always with the intention of making a Capote from it. It took me all this time to pluck up the courage to take a pair of shears to it but I've done it at last. Here's some photos.

sm-capote006.JPG
sm-capote007.JPG

sm-capote008.JPG
sm-capote009.JPG

sm-capote011.JPG

I also made a second one from an Italian army blanket that I got off Ebay.

sm-capote001.JPG
sm-capote002.JPG

sm-capote003.JPG
sm-capote004.JPG

sm-capote005.JPG

I made belts for both from the same material, but I prefer this belt I made from a scrap of leather and an oval firesteel.
sm-strikerbelt.jpg

Both the coats are completely hand stitched with artificial sinew and are very warm. I'm quite pleased with the way they came out.

Eric

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great work!
I have to say I prefer the more, erm...discrete, coloured one.....
It would apear that the Italian blanket is the one I used for my Hoodie, but I did not use the stripy bits.....

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Love them Eric! - especially the 'flag hoods' :D

I agree the first is rather jolly - looks like a cosy dressing gown:rolleyes:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I like that 2nd one a lot Eric, I still have about 4 army blankets left from my first attempts at a shirt/jacket, so I think I'll have a go at a couple of these but I'm thinking of a cape around the shoulders and a slightly smaller version of the hood. But they both look terrific mate good work, well done

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>I'm quite pleased with the way they came out.

Well, if that's you looking quite pleased I wouldn't want to meet you on a bad mood day!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
>>I'm quite pleased with the way they came out.

Well, if that's you looking quite pleased I wouldn't want to meet you on a bad mood day!

That's not me looking pleased. I took these myself and had just a couple of seconds to get from the shutter button and into a pose before the camera timer went off. I wasn't sure when it was going to flash so rather than try and smile, I just played it like you see in the photos.

I'm even uglier when laughing or smiling due to the fact I don't have a single tooth in my head
Gummy roolz!! Yay!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
they look good.

Think I'd dye the Whitney one to tone it down a bit - mind you they white will soon "age" once you get smoked.

With the Italian and the beard you might have to wander down town- very ecclesiastical

The Whitney is for Mountainman activities where bright colours and flamboyance were the norm. The Italian job is so I can hide from the Mafia in the woods.

Eric

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
You look The Perfect Mountainman, Eric! Stern and properly dressed. Maybe the background is not quite what it should be, a bit modern perhaps. them coats are perfect :notworthy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE