blackthorn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
i have a blackthorn branch about 6 foot long , way too thick for a walking stick. any sugestions. polite only

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i used some blackthorn to make firesteel handles the wood colours great when striped.
shave down the stick you have to make a walking stick with just the would showin it looks great when finished with sand and seal.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
How about a bow ? Good size for it at 6 feet and by all accounts its great bow wood. I have not tried it my self but know of a few who have..

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
How about a priest for fish and game? Blackthorn is a very tight grained and hard wood and would make an excellent priest.
It has a lovely bark and with a fine sanding, and a little varnish would make a nice priest. Carve a handle grip and taper it so it's thick towards the business end, add a little pattern and personalise it. Whip some leather thonging around the handle. The Irish used blackthorn for shillelaghs (fighting sticks) or as protection for travellers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shillelagh_(club)
or you could make a baton for wood preparation to use with your knife.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If its 6 foot long and reasonably straigh with few "ish" deep knots then its crying out to be a bow ;) whats the diameter ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE