blacksmithing courses for bushcraft enthusiasts

Hi There,
just came across your fantastic forum this morning and joined up.
I am a professional blacksmith of almost 12 years and have been running courses generally aimed at the decorative side of the craft. however i really want to run some courses aimed at the bushcraft enthusiast and would appreciate your feedback as to what sort of things you would like to do and taylor it to suit your needs. I am in the process of getting a course website finished and would like to include this specific course in the opening of the site. All your feedback will be greatfully received and i look forward to hearing from some of you very soon.:D

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi Fireboy - I'm an amateur smith myself. I think stuff like fire-steels would be good, basic knifes of course, perhaps stuff like fire-side tools?

atb
Andy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
What about how to make a flint striker?
I'm sure it's dead simple, but as bushcrafters it's something we all use and it's better to use one you've made yourself.
If I went on a (beginners) smithing course and came away with that (plus all the knowledge!) I'd be dead chuffed.

Thanks andy appreciate that. So items such as meat hooks, toasting forks. excellent, thanks alot. Would you be interested in a course? :D
My prices are very reasonable and i could offer discounts to all those who mention they have come through this forum!
Again many thanks

What about how to make a flint striker?
I'm sure it's dead simple, but as bushcrafters it's something we all use and it's better to use one you've made yourself.
If I went on a (beginners) smithing course and came away with that (plus all the knowledge!) I'd be dead chuffed.

Would you be able to tell me what sort of steel is used for the flint striker? this sounds like a nice project with lots of scope for individualism.
Thanks alot

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Would you be able to tell me what sort of steel is used for the flint striker? this sounds like a nice project with lots of scope for individualism.
Thanks alot

Unfortunately not - I'm not a blacksmith!
But I would've thought something with a high carbon content.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
i have no idea if this is possible, but one in which you actually build the forge out of available materials rather than concrete and ready made metal?!?!

also, repairing knives, axes, and all the tools we use and love and don't want to throw away :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i have no idea if this is possible, but one in which you actually build the forge out of available materials rather than concrete and ready made metal?!?!

also, repairing knives, axes, and all the tools we use and love and don't want to throw away :D

you've not heard of me or my courses then ;)

I'd say that courses teaching folk to forge the fireside stuff and pot hooks and the like would be a good winner. Not something I'm particularly interested in (unless somebody booked me to teach them of course). I'm sure they would go down well especially with families

Hi There,
just came across your fantastic forum this morning and joined up.
I am a professional blacksmith of almost 12 years and have been running courses generally aimed at the decorative side of the craft. however i really want to run some courses aimed at the bushcraft enthusiast and would appreciate your feedback as to what sort of things you would like to do and taylor it to suit your needs. I am in the process of getting a course website finished and would like to include this specific course in the opening of the site. All your feedback will be greatfully received and i look forward to hearing from some of you very soon.:D

I would get out with some locals in the woods and do a little bushcraft its fun and will help a lot in deciding what to try

but sharp pointy stuff usually works on most Shrafters :lmao: they go all fuzzy round the edge when they see it :cool: specially if its shiney :red:

aint that right Dave :D

ATB

Duncan

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I would get out with some locals in the woods and do a little bushcraft its fun and will help a lot in deciding what to try

Now that's a very good idea.
I don't know where in the UK Billingham is, but I'm sure there are some members here who are nearby and would be happy for you to join them for an afternoon (or two) out in the woods.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Just to add my tuppenyworth;

While i would love to make siomething usefull, presumably for these things there is a certain level of competency and the course would probably be a 'better' one if there were activities involved which were training the use and skills needed for making the fun stuff later. More based on learning skills to start with than just making something right out.

Its an area many of us are interested in so i hope to hear more on blacksmith related issues!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thanks alot

That's what I meant when I said fire-steels.

I use old files or springs - any high carbon stuff does the job. I have found old files to be the best though.

also the fire side tools is a good idea - hooks, forks pokers etc - all good. and they are all easy to do too.

Andy

Last edited:

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi fireboy
And welcome to the forum ;) That sounds like a great idea and all of the info below is great as to what we would like :D A knife would be a definate goal if I was on one of your courses but I suppose it depends on ability (Monty's Mastercrafts!) to create something like that.

However just to get some iron in the fire would be great and produce a small fire grate or flint striker would also be excellent fun.

I look forward to seeing your website and your prices as this would be a great diversion for me, the next time myself and my family visit family and friends 'up norf' (my wife is from Stockton and I am from 'Boro!)

PS For all that aren't aware, Wolviston is a lovely village not far from Middlesbrough in the northeast ;)

Good luck mate

Craeg

A real big thank you to everyone for all the feedback you have given. I must now try and formulate some plans and spend this easter weekend at the fire making some items.!!! Thanks again and i will post details of the website and course as soon as i have them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE