Blacks Good Companion Major

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
I have a wonderful book on Backpacking written by Showell(Kip) Styles(deceased). It has been my camping bible. Though many might think his methods/gear is antiquated, I just crave it. I have a rucksack(Swiss Military Surplus) which resmebles the Berhaus designs of 35 years ago.Berghaus no longer makes this type rucksack. :eek: I am trying to build my kit along his guidelines. I have been searching for 20 years for a Black's Good Companion Major tent. I have come close,but always seem to miss getting one. If you know of one for sale, please let me know. Or if you can find plans for it, I will have one made at a Canvas Awning shop. I hope to find one soon as I am pushing 70 years and would like to have use of one while I am able in body. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, WOO

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They do come up on ebay uk from time to time, one went recently for a couple of hundred dollars US. They were a great tent, I had one for a while and we also used them a School on our 'expeditions' before switching to Blacks Mountain Tents.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Not a Major which would have been gold (literally?), but I have just managed to get a Standard with extended flysheet. No tears/repairs, so some proofing and ready to go !
Its an earlyish one with green, but sown in groundsheet, and zipper doors (perfect working order).

Just superb for the canoe..............:)
I'm one happy (old) boy!!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I have a wonderful book on Backpacking written by Showell(Kip) Styles(deceased). It has been my camping bible. Though many might think his methods/gear is antiquated, I just crave it. I have a rucksack(Swiss Military Surplus) which resmebles the Berhaus designs of 35 years ago.Berghaus no longer makes this type rucksack. :eek: I am trying to build my kit along his guidelines. I have been searching for 20 years for a Black's Good Companion Major tent. I have come close,but always seem to miss getting one. If you know of one for sale, please let me know. Or if you can find plans for it, I will have one made at a Canvas Awning shop. I hope to find one soon as I am pushing 70 years and would like to have use of one while I am able in body. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, WOO

I appreciate time has gone since your last post, but would you like a GC Standard or the use of one as a pattern if not too late or the matter resolved? (nothing to do with my other post)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The book "Mid Moor and Meadow" (Balsillie and Westwood 1955) has scale plans for an "Itisa" style tent and standard or extended flys - very similar tents....
The book is probably as rare as hens teeth ... but I have a good copy...
Amazon have used copies! £6 ish

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE