Bilmo oilskin Poncho Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Hi guys

After commissioning a canvas Poncho from Mr Bilmo i thought i'd post a very quick review as a thank-you for all of his hard work and to provide you guys that have been asking for details and some pics. Below is a brief guide to what i asked for, what i got and what my opinions are of the work that was done for me.

I was originally looking at a Fjallraven Luhkka poncho but was finding it difficult to find a supplier here in the UK which was close enough to try one on. After asking for help on here i contacted Ian to see if he would make me one.

I wanted something custom, well fitting with a good hood made from oilskin and thats what i got :) I also asked for a hood that was wired and close fitting as i find most way too big and not great in use, i also wanted a drawstring around the hood plus a zipped top so i could vent it if i needed to. I sent my measurements over and after a few back and for emails i left it in Ians capable hands.

I ordered at the beginning of March with a hope of receiving the finished product before Easter. Due to various issues out of Ians control i finally received the poncho around the 15th of this month- a little disappointing BUT i was happy waiting as long as the item was as i wanted. Not so great were the comms. I had to do most of the chasing unfortunately BUT again i know i am dealing a person doing this not a huge company so tried to keep my expectations in line.

It has to be said i am more than happy with what i received!

The poncho is made from what i would say is a mid weight oilcloth in brown. The stitching on all parts of the poncho seems spot on and very precise and everything has been nicely put together although i did have to spend 5 minutes cutting off a good few loose threads that were left on-no major dramas there.

It packs down to a reasonable size that you could keep in the bottom of your pack BUT it is not lightweight although it feels bomb proof-i cant imagine this wearing out any time soon. The fit is perfect with plenty of room for movement in the arms and the length is spot on coming to just above my knees although you could of course have it any length you wanted. I chose to have it slightly longer at the back to give me a bit of extra material to sit on if needed. The side fastens closed with several plastic poppers so you can seal it up nice and tight against the elements.
The hood for me is by far the best feature. It is bang on the right size with a strong wire to keep its shape plus draw cords to cinch it in nice and tight. The neck is nicely zipped with a gusset to allow you some extra movement plus the ability to loosen off and vent if you're too warm (the gusset was not originally a planned feature-i just wanted a zip but it works really well). I didn't bother with pockets as it wasn't what i was really after to be honest although i could now see a nice chest pocket/pouch being useful.
I have only worn the poncho a few times and not in very severe weather so can't really comment on its waterproofness as yet but i really can't see there being any issues here.

Ian made me the offer to make any adjustments i needed if required but to be honest i think i will keep it as is. I was originally thinking of adding a removable fur ruff to the hood which i may still do-probably with buttons if anything but not at the moment.

The only 2 things i will change on the poncho is to replace the green paracord hood drawstring with a leather one as i think it cheapens the look and the green doesn't fit with the brown cloth too well. I am also tempted to replace the clear plastic snaps. Again i think they cheapen the overall look and i would much prefer some nice dark brass poppers to finish it off nicely. Again these are details i never thought about beforehand so can't complain too much although i would of happily paid that little bit more to finish it off nicely :)

Overall a great bit of kit made from traditional materials and a welcome addition to my gear which i look forward to wearing for years to come.
Mr Bilmo is great to deal with and the only lessons i learnt would be to think about all of the little details as much as possible beforehand plus give yourself plenty of time for it to be made as he is a busy man!

Andy
40850a932cfed5cde54a600e43dc430c.jpg

aa254cce277e99e0d2343e8434480b08.jpg

5ff26123ae6e5498c2abfe301ea00f5c.jpg

28e3216f8af1f25fe565ac02ab8d5f15.jpg

53d9e4f8b81dd799ce1d2cfce1791f1f.jpg

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thank you for your review, Andy. Please return the poncho at your leisure and I will replace the press-studs etc.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
That is a very nice bit of kit - I could be very tempted by something similar.
Would it be rude to ask how much it cost?

Bilmo - that is a top notch piece of work:cool:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Great stuff, the hood in particular looks to be a good shape......Loose threads are how you know its from a cottage maker :lmao:

What do the press studs do?

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
As it's custom made it would be worth contacting Bilmo for a price but it was a lot cheaper than the fjallraven!
The hood is great and the wire holds its shape well.
The snaps seal the sides shut after you have put it on to keep the elements out. I'm actually looking forward to trying it out in really bad weather to see how it fares :)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Thank you for your review, Andy. Please return the poncho at your leisure and I will replace the press-studs etc.

Hard to beat after-sales service like that, give the man his due, seems like a very fair and dependable maker.

Good on you bilmo.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work Ian!

Andy, as a craftsman myself... just gotta say... sometimes, no matter how much you try to meet a deadline, there are always things out of your control that can set it back.. I'm sure Ian did his best for you in that regard... we have lives other than that of making stuff... and whether we like it or not... it can get in the way :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Did you discuss your issues with Ian before posting this review?

That leather draw cord looks a little stiff but I guess it may bed in.

The oil skin looks lovely.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have a smock made for me by Mr. Bilmo and after three years of heavy use it's just wearing in nicely; it's the most comfortable and practical outdoor garment I've ever had. We spoke about what I wanted from the smock and told him what I didn't want, off he went and made it and got it smack on.........still makes me smile, as this morning, every time I wear it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE