Blacks Good Companion Major Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
From the photos in Mr. Styles book, it appears he used his "itisa" without the rainfly and he used a center pole. He said that the tent was made out of "Protex 3, was of proved excellence!" So I guess the search continues........................

I like you Brits sence of humorous??") Thanks for the tip on the posted tents condition.

Rik, if the tent is too heavy, I'll just get you to carry it for me on my "wal-a-bouts!"")

regards, woo

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
After being pretty ill last year I have enough trouble walking lol.

The big drawback is the open front end, get a change in wind direction and it would leak. Look out for a cotton Vango Force Ten Mk3, not light but packable and cheaper to buy and ship, its a classic in its own right, been out 40+ years and still selling.

Last edited:

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
I'll look for the Vango Force Ten per your suggestion.

Do they call you guys, "Welch?" or "Walesman?"

Sorry you were out ill. Are you back on your feet now?

You can ride on my Llama who will carry you,the tent and our rucksacks!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Welsh, Welshmen or Welshman. I was born in England although half my family were Welsh as is my wife and I moved to Wales full time in 88.

Getting back on my feet, caught bloody TB when I was nursing, very inconvenient and its left me short of breath but getting better (although no back packing), I'm away camping this weekend. Look forward to to using the Llama :) see http://www.vango.co.uk/force-ten/classic-std-mk3.html

Last edited:

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
Is Wales a part of Britain or the United Kingdom? Are you your own "state?"

Had a peek at Vango. Not bad. Pricey? Thanks for sharing that info with me. Will continue on my search for the Itsia Senior tent.

Enjoy you camping this weekend. Cheers, woo

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wales is a principality with its awn Assembly (with limitted powers)and National Anthem and international sports teams that is part of Britain which is part of The United Kingdom of Britain and Northen Ireland.
We supplied the British Royal family when they ran out of candidates a while back .... The Tudors - and the eldest son of the British Monarch is known as "The Prince of Wales". :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"We supplied the British Royal family when they ran out of candidates a while back"

Plus 8 American Presidents and William Penn :)

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
Thanks, I have seen this site before. In order to email these folks, you have to be a registered member of their forum. Another member asked to purchase one. they got no response? So, don't think my chances are good. I appreciate your post to me concerning this. Cheers, WOO

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have plans and patterns for an "Itisa" type tent and flysheet in a book called "Mid Moor and Mountain by MN Balsillie and JA Westwood, published by "The Boy Scout Association" originaly in 1955 - my copy is the 1961 reprint.
If this is of interestI could possibly scan a few pages (it must be out of print/copyright by now!) and email them to you.
Drop me a PM if you are interested :)
By eck!
My book has the same patterns as the link below!
Ignore my offer!:)

Last edited:

bushmad

Jun 27, 2011
Cheshire
Hi John, the details in MM&M are exactly the same as the those in the link I've posted (appear to be the same chapters and diagrams etc.). Saves you scanning them etc.

By the way are you 'THE' John Fenna who's published booklets on making your own equipment?

Cheers

Rob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi John, the details in MM&M are exactly the same as the those in the link I've posted (appear to be the same chapters and diagrams etc.). Saves you scanning them etc.

By the way are you 'THE' John Fenna who's published booklets on making your own equipment?

Cheers

Rob
Yup - thats me :)
Currently available in the Makers Market section is my Book on making budget Bushcrafting gear - all else is out of print!

David Grimshaw

Feb 24, 2012
Leicestershire, UK
In reply to your request - I have a Blacks GC tent with 6` extended fly in my loft and not used for a while.
If you are still interested I`ll fish it out and give it a checkover, take some photo`s and let you know. Unfortunately nowadays I do not have a grassed area in which to erect it so a bit of `good neighbours` will have to come on!
Regards,
David

D

dixippus

Thanks; but I've changed my priorities. Now looking for a Itisa Senior tent.

Two years is a long time. Are you still looking? I have been clearing out the loft and found my old ITISA SENIOR which has languished there for nearly 50 years. It did several years good service before I got a career, but apart from a few bits of damage is as good as you might expect for a tent of that age. If you give me your contact details I will give you a better description.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE