Blacks Good Companion Major Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The basic dims (L x B x H) & wall height can be found here. Post#19
A pencil & paper, some common sense and trig., a few questions as requisite and a bit of time should yield a passable pattern.

Last edited:
I saved one of these from a skip a while back, someone had cut all the guys and metal rings from the inner tent for recycling. I jumped in as the scissors were heading towards the flysheet. I have repaired the inner with some of those plastic pop together eyelets to allow me to attach some guys. I'm glad you posted this thread as I struggled to fathom out how it went up as I pitched the fly first and pegged it to the ground. I now know where I was going wrong. I have used the fly a few times in some torrential rain and it was waterproof (apart from the flood that came underneath).

Sorry this doesn't help your plight but it has helped mine.:red:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've been having a look at it since I posted and it's a funny shape. It's nearly my bedtime now but I'll have another look tomorrow and hopefully sort something out.

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
I've been having a look at it since I posted and it's a funny shape. It's nearly my bedtime now but I'll have another look tomorrow and hopefully sort something out.

Just got up from my nap! Old is nice? Ian, when you work it out; would you share the dimensions? I'd appreciate it!! best, woo

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
woo, You might try posting on this forum as well http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=11 I am pretty sure I have seen them mentioned a couple of times there and some of the old timers there will remember them.

I didn't notice your location at first but I am intrigued why someone from the WooSA is hooked on an old UK backpacking guide and looking for old British kit?

I don't know what the book says about sleeping bags but I posted a while ago about an old Blacks sleeping bag I have that is from the same era http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69334&highlight=

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
good morning bailout,

I guess I am just a "romantic" at heart. Showell (Kip) Styles intriques me. I'm not sure why?? Maybe,as I have gotten older, I tend to trust the old ways better. Unfortunately 'time stops for no man' and the speed of todays world is a little much for me! Mr. Styles shows me the slow steady path. I'll get there, but I want to 'stop and smell the roses' along the way.

I like your "WooSa!" Catchy!! May use it!

Thanks for the websites you supplied. I will use them!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Here you go WOO, things for you to look at as your like me a lover of retro kit

OPTIMUS2.jpg

DSCF4179640x480.jpg

DSCF4128640x480.jpg

73REI1.jpg

73REI3.jpg

73REI4.jpg

BlacksAlaskan.jpg

Blacks_2.jpg

Blacks_6.jpg

Blacks_9-1.jpg

And of course

Blacks_8.jpg

Last edited:

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
Like the looks of the 'retro lady/camp companion. Is this part of an English Kit???? Heck, I've been wanting a Blacks Good companion major; but the Bushman looks great also! Those Optimus/Svea stoves still selling new out there. Hobo stove works well, if you are where you can have open fires?? Thanks for the nostalgic trip thru the hinterlands! I've enjoyed it. Best, Tom/WOO

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The stove in the second pictures is one of my Optimus 111T stoves, they will run kerosene or white gas/Coleman fuel and are on ebay most days used condition. Very few parts to them so super reliable.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Ian, it might be worth talking to Bryan Miller now he is off the stoves and back making clothes and tents? I'm pretty sure he has plans of tents like the Itisa.

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
WOW!! I must have been asleep when i started this post??? I'm not looking for a Blacks GC Major, I'm looking for an Itisa Senior tent. It pays to reread Showell Styles Packpacking book occasionally. I gather that these are as rare as the Major?? Will continue the hunt! cheers, Tom/woo

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
Wonder of wonders, you not only found one, you found a near new one. Your deligence is admirable!!!! What a grand prize it would be. But I didn't realize how heavy it was? 8 kilos=17+ pounds???Way to heavy to backpack with?? See my post below re "WRONG TENT?" Now I will search for a Itisa Senior. Supposedly it weight around 10 pounds and is a bit smaller. But just to let you know, my old wheels will be spinning trying to justify the possible purchase of the Blacks Gc Major?? I wonder what $$ would buy it. Thanks again for your perserverance!! woo

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
You are good Nomad!! Actually I am not familiar with this one. The Itisa Senior has a sew-in floor like the Blacks GC Major. I think the area on the Itsia is 6'6" square(6 1/2 foot by 6 1/2 foot square). I sure appreciate you dedication in searching this out. good luck. :You_Rock_

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That one in the eBay link is very sun bleached, thats seen a lot of use I would say.

Where does the name for the Itisa tent come from? When asked for a name for the tent "It is a tent" hence Itisa Tent or so rumour has it.

Woo, all those Blacks tents were heavy, my old Mountain Tent, two man was 22lb plus pegs IIRC.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE