blackcurrants and elderberries?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Can anyone recommend any good recipes, aside from just making cordials or booze? Got a lovely little haul today and am eager to use it!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hiya.

Apple and blackurrant cobbler would be lovely.

Elderberry and red wine gravy to go with dark meats like duck or venison would also do well.

Rob

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Elderberry and red wine gravy to go with dark meats like duck or venison would also do well.

That sounds VERY tasty. My local butcher often gets lovely meats in; venison, goat, rabbit, oxtail. Think I'll pop down over the weekend and see what treats he has in stock.

Rumi

Forager
Preparing for Winters Coughs and Colds

Elderberries, Sambucus Nigra, are out and plump generally they are not the pleasantest of fruit. I find I can barely eat one or two. Eaten in any quantity they are an emetic so should be treated with respect. We use them to make a soothing syrup which is great for those winter coughs. Combined with Echinacea (Echinacea Purpurea), stored and taken seperatly the 2 are a formidable medicine against colds.

The recipe is simple, though be warned after squeezing the stewed berries your hands will be stained black for days!

Elderberry Syrup

Wash, drain and separate the fruit from the stems and put in an oversize pan with just enough water to cover. Simmer for 30 minutes until the berries are soft. Strain through a muslin and then squeeze the berries in the muslin to e3xtract all the juice and add 1lb of sugar and 10 cloves to each pint of liquid. Heat until the sugar is dissolved and then boil for 10 minutes. Pre-sterilize some small bottles 1/2-1/3 pint is the ideal size and warm ready for the syrup. Pour the syrup in hot, cap and seal.

The syrup is a good source of vitamin C, and is great with hot water and lemon or better still for flue with elderflower tea and lemon. I use it for winter colds in a dose of 5-10ml Elderberry syrup with 5-10 ml of Echinacea tincture.

Its also nice as a sauce over lemon sorbet! (no more than 15-20ml).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE