Blackberry Wood, Ditchling, East Sussex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Millbilly said:
;) Any chance of us all having a bushcraft uk meet-up, down there during the winter. You know, all private like? :D :D :D
As I said previously, the site closes at the end of September for the winter. :( So I guess that's why it's fully booked for the woodfair weekend.

We'll have to look into the possibility of another site maybe?

Martin

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Spoke to the lady at Manor farm earlier today and she seemed a bit confused - didn't know if there were trees suitable for hammocks/bashas. I said I was looking for somewhere for 23/24 september and she replied that what she suggested to people was that they call on the wednesday or thursday before (i.e. one day before you want to be there :eek: ) to check availability. Makes things all a bit last minute for planning a weekend away.
Still - anyone been there? Suitability for hammocks/ a meet?

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
I had a couple of days there last week. Nice little campsite with plenty of fire pits, although you have to buy your wood from the site rather than bringing your own or harvesting any fallen wood. There are no real locations for pitching a hammock and tarp though, more of a tent site really. There is a little bit of woodland on the farm but it isn't currently being used for camping, might be worth asking but I expect the answer would be no.

EDIT: on re-reading I don't think I was clear, I was refering to Manor Court Farm. Also having re-looked at UK Campsite there are a number of site that allow fires in East Sussex. Perhaps one of them will be viable?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I asked whether they were planning on creating more camping areas in the woods and Tim said no, they wanted to leave it as wild wood. I don't know whether that exludes bivvying or hammocks, but I guess that fires would not be permitted. :(

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
I tryed to get a pitch at blackberry wood last weekend to see what it was like but it was full. We ended up going to tanners hatch youth hostel. It’s a excellent little camp site thats in the woods on ranmore common part of the north downs to the west of Dorking. Lots of trees to put up hammocks and you can have an open fire in the fire pits. The best thing is you got the all of ranmore common for your bushcrafty ;) needs. It’s as close as camping in the woods that I’ve found. Though I still intend it check out blackberry wood.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Flashback to 1986 aged 14ish and the Tanners Marathon 30 Miles Cross Country. A team of three intrepid school boys an OS map and rucksacs full of tuck maps and compasses ! :D

Still have the badge and certificate to prove it too ;)

It's a lovely area.

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
I managed to find a picture on the internet of some people camping at tanners hatch. It gives a good idea of what its like.
tnrhtch_008.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE