Blackberry dyed vine maple spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Blackberry Spoon

I roughed out a vine maple spoon a couple of weeks ago. I got the spoon to this state (100grit) and decided I would like to try out some new dye as the maple is so blah…..

mapletop4421mp6.jpg

mapleside4422yl4.jpg

So reaching into the freezer I pulled out a quart of frozen blackberries and brought them to a boil.

blackberrydye4426mz3.jpg

Dumped the syrup into a gallon ziplock bag and tossed in the spoon.

24 hours later…..

maplepurple4521cl5.jpg

I left this to dry for a few days and then completed the sanding followed up with 3 days in flaxseed oil. I was wondering how deep the purple berry stain had gone, but it seems it penetrated deeper into this wood than my last natural dye using tea.

grainandpurple4563yk3.jpg

I got quite a varied pattern from the grain….some places nearly white and others deep dark purple. Overall I like this one.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
An interesting experiment with natural dyes, but I preferred the naked spoon I'm afraid.
I agree, I’m going to get lynched for saying this, but I prefer my natural dyes to look more ‘natural’, and less like Ikea.
I know that it is dyed 100% using 100% natural dyes but it looks some how ‘not natural’. I love the shape of the spoon. The colour before the spoon was oiled was quite pleasant as well. However, after the oiling it sort of changed to… I don’t know, like an Ikea wood-stain. Sorry, as I said the spoon is great.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wow!
Beautiful craftsmanship and a fantastic colour to boot!
really like that:beerchug:
cheers
R.B.
p.s. I'd like to carry out similar experiments but even if I promise to clear up after me, swmbo is never satisfied with the cleanup job:theyareon

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I loove it, best tool to eat those special mushrooms :p

:lmao:

Thanks...even for the ones who do not like the color I appreciate the comments. It is a bit wild.

I have a lillac spoon blank I am starting now....all natural purple. Not sure how it will finish up but we will see.

Later in the year I may try blueberry stain on something.

There is no stickyness at all to this. Continued sanding took off any "coating" that the berries left. It feels just like oiled wood now. I followed up the sanding with 150, 180, 220, 340, 400, and 600 grit papers.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hehe,, just make sure that it's not turning out mauve =), or EVER put pink ribbons on it :p

"Never trust a woman ("or a spoon", the editor) who wears mauve, whatever her age may be, or a woman ("or spoon", the editor) over thirty-five who is fond of pink ribbons." (Oscar Wilde)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE