Black Iron Omelette Pan 20cm / 8" Flat Handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Thought that i would share with you lot my new pan!, weighs 750g, so a bit heavy i know.
Bought a Highlander lightweight folding handle frying pan a few weeks ago which weighs 210g for under a fiver, but found it to not be that good, everything stuck no matter what i tried!, can't keep eating what resembles burnt roadkill!, Hugo wouldn't even try one but Kep did and said it was ok,(he's too nice to say it was ****), so....
Bought the black iron pan from the usual best selling auction site for under a tenner, it takes up more room with the fixed handle and weighs over three times more, but think it will be worth it.
Will let you guy know how i get on with it next week after my day out with Kep and Hugo, Sorry you two, i'm going to use you as guinea pigs again!:p, But still bring food, can't promise it won't make you ill!:lmao:
DSCF0746.jpgDSCF0744.jpgDSCF0745.jpg
Think it will get mainly used at the monthly meets!, unless it sits in my day out bag without too much grief!

Last edited:

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
Nice pan!

There is a trick to make a cast iron pan less "sticky".
I think it was something like heating the pan very hot and use a lot of dry salt, but I can't remember it.

good luck

udamiano

On a new journey
Nice pan!

There is a trick to make a cast iron pan less "sticky".
I think it was something like heating the pan very hot and use a lot of dry salt, but I can't remember it.

good luck

Get the pan very hot and put a bit of cooking oil in it (get something like veg oil that has a high smoking point) wipe the oil around the pan then back on the heat until all the oil is obsorbed into the metal and has stopped smoking, then repeat.
after a couple of times a non-stick surface will build up in no time.
when cooking with it don't wash with soap and water, just wipe around with a towel and leave until the next time. The more you use it the better the non-stick surface you build up gets. which is basically a carbon and oil coating

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
The highlander lightweight pan is kind of teflon coated aluminium, not cast iron, but still sticks, but any sugestions that help are always very greatfully appreciated!:)
I do have a cast iron pan, which i use whenever long term camping along with my cast iron pot.
Both have been heated, coasted and cooked, but that was about 7 years ago and they could do with doing again now!:(
The new one hopefully will just need oiling each time i use, aluminium with iron handle, Time will tell!
Thanks for looking, and please don't stop sending ideas to fix the highlander pan!

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Best to oil and bake the pans for the first few times then just use and the cast iron gets better with each use. Love my cast iron stuff and hopefully by the time I pass them on they should be as slick as a black slick thing!!

No idea on the other pan though?

Steve

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Oh yes, we are going to have a Pancake fest i feel:), looks good.

Btw, i used my Highlander Anodised pan this week, cooked bacon, bannock and a new pastry type nibble in it, and nothing stuck to it at all - deadly serious and i have a witness:), mind you i also got it very hot before i started cooking and i used a bit of olive oil rather than dry frying, it's nowhere near as good as my Litech, but for a fiver, the Highlander is not a bad little lightweight pan, ive semi seasoned the Highlander pan as well, just need to use it a litle more and get a good baked on coat of oil;)

I'll bring the Highlander with me next week and you can have a look see at how it performs.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
PS - i thought that last burnt pancake you made was quite tasty, mind you , i also have a cast iron consitution;), seriously though, it wasnt that bad - honest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE