Black bacon experiment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its quite similar in its a dry firm cure, It'll be sliced on Sunday, still in the smoker right now ;)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It looks cooked enough to slice thinly, place on some Polish style Rye bread, a thin smear of a Moutarde Ancienne, topped with shaved onion...
Aaahhh....... a dream!
:)

(I have not had my breakfast yet! )

Reactions: TLM

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fiona really enjoyed it. She found the black colour a bit off-putting but said the flavour is actually subtle, neither salty, over sweet or too smoky. She gas asked me to cure like that again

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To please her, could you use light (Golden) syrup instead?

Do you think it would change the taste a lot?

I am sure you know that treacle/molasses was the cheapest sugar preparation in the past, hence so many ‘peasant’ recipes contain it.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To please her, could you use light (Golden) syrup instead?

Do you think it would change the taste a lot?

I am sure you know that treacle/molasses was the cheapest sugar preparation in the past, hence so many ‘peasant’ recipes contain it.

Its an interesting thought. I've done a batch of maple syrup cured which is nice. I'm wondering about honey cured!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, I think you are going back in history. Honey was basically the only sweetener ( sugar from the Indian sub continent was incredibly expensive) available so it must have been used to help preserve pork.

I am sure it would be delicious!

Reactions: British Red

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Its an interesting thought. I've done a batch of maple syrup cured which is nice. I'm wondering about honey cured!

Have you ever tried the Black Bee honey from Colonsay? Such a delicious honey; and with that i'm off to the butchers for another side of gloucester old spot!!!! may try it with some heather flowers mixed into the cure.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I haven't, I don't normally buy honey (we kept bees for a long time, had to stop because Fiona developed sting allergy, still have many beekeeper friends). I would like to try true native black bee honey though.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Many honey brands across North America have been diluted with cheap sugar syrup.
I won't buy any store honey. Instead, I've sourced a few hobby producers here in the valley.
I've come to trust that they know the fate of fakes. I like clover or fireweed wild honey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE