BK2 Sheath Mod (Extremely Photo Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
Hey guys. I did this mod a few months ago, and posted it on a few forums, but thought perhaps you guys might like to take a look at it.

I had been wanting to do a BK2 sheath mod. I knew I wanted a drop leg model, and initially I just placed a rectangle ring in the belt loop, and made another belt loop out of 2" black webbing. It was okay, but just not good enough. I then thought about getting some 2" webbing in olive drab, as I am a known olivedrabius freakicanus. I was going to put eyelets, etc., on the webbing, but then I looked over and saw my LBE on the futon, and thought I would just make one out of a 2 1/4" web belt.

Here's the stock sheath: (not my photo)

001-4.jpg

And here's my mod:

023-1.png

029-3.png

I used 1" webbing/buckles for the leg strap:

025-1.png

For the fire steel loop, I used cable clamps. They work very well, and are tough. I kept bending it, and it wouldn't break:

029a.png

I simply screwed them on to the rear of the belt loop plate. The loop plate is screwed on from the front, but there's still room on the back for short screws:

029aa.png

029b.png

031-3.png

032c.png

I also made a keeper lanyard for it out of 1/8 shock cord, and put an end on it:

032d.png

I made a keeper strap out of the same 1" webbing I used for the leg strap, and placed snaps in it. My wife sewed it on for me, using nylon olive drab thread:

035-1.png

I purposely made it big, for gloved hands:

036-1.png

037a.png

037b.png

I also blatantly and shamelessly stole DerekH's idea of mounting the BK14 to it:

040-1.png

040a.png

I used 3 flat washers between the 2, and used the Chicago screws that came with the ESEE pouch to mount it:

040b.png

I mounted the ESEE pouch by running some 1/8 shock cord up through the belt slots, through the pouch and along it, then back through the upper eyelets:

044-1.png

I then pulled it tight, and used a cord lock to secure it. Works very well:

044a.png

This is the webbing mount:

062.png

I made a brace out of aluminum, graciously donated to me by DerekH (thanks Derek!). I fashioned it in such a manner, as to miss the eyelets. I made this to sandwich between the layers, so the sheath doesn't fall over when undoing the keeper strap, as the stock one does. Worked out great:

062a.png

It goes up to about the second row of eyelets:

062b.png

Between the layers:

063c.png

Then mounted, using flat washers, lock washers, and lock nuts:

065.png

If you were wondering what the little thing dangling from the BK14 sheath is...

079.png

It's a G.I. sharpening stone:

080.png

It comes with a key ring, so I used it to attach to the BK14 sheath, then used a small snap hook from a lanyard I had:

081.png

082.png

I also made a keeper for it out of 1/8 shock cord, with an end on it. To be honest, I probably won't keep it on there:

084.png

I tried to utilize as much of the belt as I could. I used the actual buckle, and also used the black steel keepers. The upper keeper is what actually holds the lower buckle section on. The lower keeper helps keep the webbing over the aluminum plate:

096.png

I also decided to place snaps in the belt loop, to make it more modular as well. I can put it on, and take it off, without having to undo my belt. Also, it may come in handy to hang it up, say, on a branch:

097.png

Random Shots:

098.png

098a.png

Before it was actually completed, but it gives you a better idea of what it looks like:

099a.png

Nobody here, so I had to use the mirror. This is on the belt:

100.png

101.png

All in all, this was a fun project. It doesn't really take that long to make. It took longer to get the parts I needed in. I would have an after thought, and have to order more parts. I used loc-tite on everything btw. This is extremely modular, but it is heavy though. As we know, the BK2 weighs a pound, but his whole rig (with knife) weighs in at a whopping 2 1/4 lbs! It doesn't feel that heavy on the leg though, especially with the leg strap in place. Besides, I can always take the sharpener off, the BK14 off, the ESEE accessory pouch off, not to mention the fire steel. In all honesty, I am going to take the sharpener off, but the weight doesn't bother me at all. Sorry so photo heavy, but I know we all like photos. Thanks for looking.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Got admire your ingenuity mate, that's a great mod and really well executed.

My first thought was still "How many tons does that thing weigh?" though... :)

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
Got admire your ingenuity mate, that's a great mod and really well executed.

My first thought was still "How many tons does that thing weigh?" though... :)

Thanks. It is heavy. I took the BK14, and sharpener off. The knife itself weighs a pound. Like I said though, the weight is negligible, with the leg strap. Bad thing about a set up like this, is that the pouch tends to bump into everything.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Fantastic work mate, wonderful ingenuity and resourcefulness. I would love one of those!

I would ditch the Eskabar sheath though, it blunts the blade it good and proper.

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
Fantastic work mate, wonderful ingenuity and resourcefulness. I would love one of those!

I would ditch the Eskabar sheath though, it blunts the blade it good and proper.

Thank you, it was a fun project. I have heard the sheath dulls the blade, but mine is still shaving sharp. Haven't sharpened it yet.

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
very nice mate, i would like to see it fixed to a backpack, looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it ,

regards
paul

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks really sharp Warior, and its also nice that you were so thorough with the photographs it makes it really clear how the mod holds together,
Great job, hope you will enjoy it for a long time

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
Thanks guys. The BK2 is a beast of a knife. My first Becker blade. I now have the BK2, BK9, BK10LE, BK13, BK14, and a Becker prototype neck knife that was never released to the public.

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
That us fantastic I love it I hope you don't mind but will try to copy this design for my Becker or something close to itMany thanks for taking the time to show us a great mod
All the best
Rick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE