Bivy Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
LOL! UKKitmoster have always been good when I've ordered from them in the past - literally next day delivery. However theirs is a wee bit steep, if you can or have someone who can mod it and put a zip in for you I reckon you could save yourself a tenner at least. PointNorth have heavy-duty zips of the right length (approx. 90cm) for about £3.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
LOL! UKKitmoster have always been good when I've ordered from them in the past - literally next day delivery. However theirs is a wee bit steep, if you can or have someone who can mod it and put a zip in for you I reckon you could save yourself a tenner at least. PointNorth have heavy-duty zips of the right length (approx. 90cm) for about £3.
I'm sure UKKitMonster won't be the only ones to sell the zipped version!:rolleyes:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
You're probably right there Greg. I got the impression from the link that this was a modification that they had done themselves rather than being a version you could get elsewhere.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Geuf: As I said, I was thinking of mod'ing my Dutch bag with a zip, do you have any recommendations as to the best way to do it? Was thinking of unpicking the stiching along the long opening, between the "goretex" and the webbing strip that has the poppers for attaching your sleeping bag to and then sewing the zip in between these two layers. Is this the best way? I have a sewing machine so I reckon it'd be ok.

Greg: one thing I like about the Dutch one, can't speak for any others, is that it has large fabric loops on the underside to slide your roll mat in so you don't slide off it in the night. I also reckon you'd have to take a larger than XXL chest size before you found it restrictive, I'm only L myself and there is tons of room at the shoulders.

Best is nog to unpick anything. you can just sew the zipper straight onto ( read inside) the bivybag. the waterproofness of the bag is not affected since it has a large flap over the opening.

cccc

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2007
North Hampshire
If you do any sewing / unpicking, I seem to remember you can get clear tape you iron on to seal the needle holes. Think my jacket is also done like this. Might help keep the damp out :)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Best is nog to unpick anything. you can just sew the zipper straight onto ( read inside) the bivybag. the waterproofness of the bag is not affected since it has a large flap over the opening.

Cheers, I'll give it a go. I'd also thought of trying to find poppers of the right size and making a pop-on zip - but I think that might be overkill. :rolleyes:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I finally got round to sewing a zip on mine, I think it makes a big difference, feels more secure somehow. If you've got one I'd recommend doing it too.

I used one of these ...

http://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_product_info.php?id=Z82590

... as I wanted a good chunky zip that opened both ends.

bivi2.jpg

bivi1.jpg

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Just tacked the zip on with a few hand-stitches and then ran it through the sewing machine, took about 20 minutes from beginning to end. Thanks to Geuf for the tip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE