Bivvy recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I see!

I looked for bivi bags and bivvy bags before.
After I looked for bivvi bags it works....

I think I misunderstood you. I thought, there would be something more than the Snugpack Special Forces Bivvy Bag I recommended, and the other Snugpack without zipper.

I am a tired German....

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
O, what kind of nice collection!
And I just had a coffee after a good night's sleep!
;0)

I think, that British army bivvy bags are good for colder British weather. Tough but relatively heavy. I have a green one and like it, but:
The Snugpack Special Forces Bivvy Bag is far lighter and I find it very comfortable too to use this central zipper to enter it. In hot conditions the zipper is necessary. There is a reason, why the French and German army uses bivvy bags with central zipper. In the summer on the continent it simply becomes to hot in the closed goretex bags.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have tried a few, stuck with rather less. I can't make a reccomendaion about these two. They just happen to have been caught up in my attentions for a few months

The Outdoor Research Bivvy Tarp and the Outdoor Research Bug Bivvy.

They both have had good reviews from people I know who have them. The Bivvy Tarp is a likely purchase for me. The Bug Bivvy, I don't like need need, but it is so insanely convenient and will be great for watching space junk float by in the early hours. So, I guess it is just as likely a buy :)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Billy-o

Paul Kirtley made a video about an ultra light tarp and bivvy bag set up, where he shows the Snugpack Special Forces Bivvy bag. It's as large as an apple!!!!

It's a second thin skin over the SF1 sleeping bag, no extra thing like the army bivvy bags. You really should try this!

It's one of the best parts of my not so bad equipment.

(But I think the Defcon 5 rain poncho ,400g, is a better choice than Kirtleys silnylon tarp.)

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Well I ended up with one from mountain warehouse. All reviews state condensation is a problem...

I didn't buy it though. Never mentioned a bivvy to anyone but here but that's what my brother went and bought me for Christmas. Am I too predictable :D

Will keep it as a very lightweight backup, but will look into your recommendations for something more built for purpose :)

Reactions: tiger stacker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE