Bivvy bag care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I have just got back from a week's course (my first outing) and would just like to ask what is the best way of cleaning up the bivvy bag before putting it away ready for the next time?
I was thinking of just giving it a quick dip in some soapy water, rinse and dry (which I intend to do with the roll mat...)?
Most other things have just been through the washing machine; sleeping bag next!

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Depending on what your bivy bag is made of you should not use standard soaps as far as I know. Ordinary household detergents and soaps will strip the waterproofing off your bivy bag. I use nikwax techwash on all of my waterproof gear and reproof with a suitable nikwax waterproofer if necessary. If you have no access to nikwax I would just use a cloth and plain water to be safe.

Check out the manufacturer recommended care instructions for a definitive answer though.

Andrew

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
Yeah as said of its goretex dont use soapy water ! gove it a jet wash if really muddy or just allow to dry and brush off any excess with a stiff brush.

you shouldnt need to reproof it after every use but as said above Nikwax products are highly recomended ,however ive never used the wash in stuff myself so cant comment.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Brush off any dirt, sponge down with plain warm water (keep rinsing sponge off) Hang and allow to dry.... Never use soap on modern proofed fabrics unless its something like Nikwax Techwash, and only use that if you're reproofing

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Thanks all. It is standard army surplus goretex so I will just sponge it down with warm water. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE