Bivouac Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks LS - thats the sort of thing - like the side entry too (plus the wieght is very handy!). A little worried by the reviews though...quite liked the dearer jobbys on the same site ...aint that always the way?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
How about one that looks like this one.... :lmao:

A bit open on the sides, and not able to get much kit in, but a good summer :naughty: shelter.

LS

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
IB,

Interesting idea...I have a pole rig for an onld 58 pattern poncho that works but isn't as fancy as that! That said though I'm looking for something a little drier in torrential downpours (like rain coming under the side and with a groundsheet!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nemisis said:
Hi Red I came across this new bivvi bag on special would this suit? http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Bivi_50.html well within the weight limit what about size?
Dave.
Dave,

thanks for that - the "assault Bivi" is close, but I'd really like a little more room to get a bergan in and maybe a single pole (hate stuff on my face). Imagine a tiny one man tent with the "entrance bell" filled with a Bergan and me lying on my thermarest filling the rest (reading a book with a head torch)

Red

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I used a Tera nova Saturn Bivi Bag for ages is like the Jupiter Bivi Bag but with a bottom hoop so more like a tunnel very good used to fit in the pochers pocket of my kit carry smock. up graded to a golite hex 3 so my dog could fit in with out ripping the ground sheet, very versitile bit of kit.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
personally red i would find out the hydrostatic head specs of the outer ( ie the bit that points towards the rain ) as i noticed the dearer jobbies gave hydrostat specs for the ground sheet material??????doh what use is that if your getting wet from above???? :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
What about the "Observer" by Carinthia? Bit pricey though :rolleyes:
Silvermans: 249 GBP (stylenumber 70767; see Tent section).

92330.jpg

http://www.military-sleeping-bags.com/bivybag_details.asp?Bivy_Bag_ID=4

More info:
www.military-sleeping-bags.com
select: catalogue >> bivybags

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And another looking good - cheers Johan - now we're cooking!

Shambling Shaman - I have looked at a couple of Terra Novas (Novae?) and again - they seem good. Does anyone have a link with specifications for the golite hex 3?

Thanks guys - this is really helpful!

Red

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
Personally I am thinking of getting a Hilleberg akto. It weighs 1.6 kg and is much more roomy that the laserlite. Inner and outertent can be pitched individually and both are waterrepellent. So you can leave the outertent at home during summertrips. But it's also suitable for very bad weather. I saw one pitched a few days ago and it has more space than you would guess at first site. Here are a few links to some reviews.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/HL1000

http://www.backpacking.net/hilleberg-akto-review.html

The biggest downside to this one is it’s price (around 340 dollars). But for me it is definitely worth it. probably getting one by the end of this month.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I think that hex-3 is a bit of a con. It only gets that light weight by stripping away what most others supply and most customers require i.e. a floor and inner tent or at least bug proof mesh. Add these to the hex-3 as accessories and it weighs in at 5 1/2lbs
Dave.

Beech Nut

Forager
Apr 27, 2006
Basingstoke
Hi I'm with Joeri. I have an Akto and it is Fantastic.
Very easy to put up and you can be happy in the knowledge that what ever weather is trown at it, you will be snag as a bug :)

Jon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beech Nut,

Odd question, but you don't have any photos of someone in it do you? I'm really tempted by the Akto but I'd like to gauge its roominess (can I store my Bergan and still have room to get in and take my boots off?)

Red

Thanks for all the help guys - I have far more options now. I have looked into the hex 3 and (for me) I'm tending to agree with Dave - I would want a floor etc. and it gets too heavy then. I'm sure its a great bit of kit, but not for me solo I think

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE