Bivi bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there is any difference in quality/waterproofing etc. between the olive green british issue bivi bag and the camo version. I think i read something saying the camo verison wasn't as good but i could have imagined it. cheers

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
In my experience of using both, no both are water proof and of the same quality. Although for some reason you can pay slot more for the DPM as some like to think it is for the SAS/commando/super chucky cheese grepa Buerger chaps.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i have a olive issue one made by north face it has the north face name and logo printed in black ink inside
i have always found it to be fullly waterproof hope this helps

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i have a olive issue one made by north face it has the north face name and logo printed in black ink inside
i have always found it to be fullly waterproof hope this helps

A North Face british army issue bivvy bag, that must be pretty rare

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
A North Face british army issue bivvy bag, that must be pretty rare

Are you suggesting that someone hasn't read the original question properly and just wanted to answer the question they wanted to see? :rolleyes:

No. Never. Surely not. That never happens on this forum...;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Are you suggesting that someone hasn't read the original question properly and just wanted to answer the question they wanted to see? :rolleyes:

No. Never. Surely not. That never happens on this forum...;)

Lol, I wouldn't put it quite like that :)

To be fair Walker did say it was an issue bag, I'm just not sure it can be British ?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've got a few examples of both. Broadly speaking there are two types of the olive green issue bag- the older type that was slightly heavier guage material, and the newer type which was a touch lighter, and has a 'pleat'- an extra triangle of material sewn into the hood opening so it can open wider and is easier to get into. The DPM version is almost certainly likely to be to the same pattern as the latter, and is thus easier to get into in a hammock than the early olive green bags.

No diifference that i've noticed in build quality, breathability or waterproofness, but if you are buying second hand, then getting a DPM version will mean you are possibly more likely to get a lightly used bag. No hard or fast rule though!

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I've got the British Army issue olive green one, however, I'm thinking of upgrading to a lighter weight. I've been using Alpkit for lots of stuff just lately and have been impressed, so thought I might go with their Hunka. Tell me more about the Snugpak, before I commit.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I also bought a Hunka, for when the need for being super light means i leave the issue ones i have at home. It works, but its quite narrow, and not overly long. The XL version they sell should rectify this though, although then the weight saving isn't as much.

No probs with breathability of the alpkit one.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I've got the British Army issue olive green one, however, I'm thinking of upgrading to a lighter weight. I've been using Alpkit for lots of stuff just lately and have been impressed, so thought I might go with their Hunka. Tell me more about the Snugpak, before I commit.

Its great what u wanna know?

bivvybag-1.png

IMAG0561.jpg

IMAG0563.jpg

Last edited:

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
I'm seduced by the small pack size of the Snugpak. Do the breathability claims hold out and how roomy does it feel?

HarrogateTobias swears by his literally, also there is quite a bit of room I'm six four and weight around 20 stone and there was enough room for me to be comfortable.
any how i got a issue dpm bivy off the bay for £36 posted brand new aparently we will see looks in good condition though, thanks for the advise.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
HarrogateTobias swears by his literally, also there is quite a bit of room I'm six four and weight around 20 stone and there was enough room for me to be comfortable.
any how i got a issue dpm bivy off the bay for £36 posted brand new aparently we will see looks in good condition though, thanks for the advise.

SNUGPAK ! woop woop

only thing is that its so thin it may be punctured if you roll off your mat...

nothing that good prep couldnt sort out tho

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE