Bivi bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kooga

Jul 22, 2015
Sussex
Sos Wacker haven't actually used the Alpkit bivi. Was just messin re the odd link rhyan had posted.

Re the actual Alpkit bivi, what I've read on here and elsewhere seems largely positive...I just want kelp in standard, which is apparently asking far too much.

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Sos Wacker haven't actually used the Alpkit bivi. Was just messin re the odd link rhyan had posted.

Re the actual Alpkit bivi, what I've read on here and elsewhere seems largely positive...I just want kelp in standard, which is apparently asking far too much.

Haha no bother mate, just clicked the link and realised what you're going on about :lmao:
Yeah I've been waiting for the kelp one myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
These guys do very nice Bivys. I have one. Its very light, and mossy proof. Waterproof, breathable. The material they use is similiar to momentum 90, with a siliconised base.

A lot of cottage manufacturers let you measure around yourself, and get one custom made. It makes for a very comfy night.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I was looking at the Alpkit bivvy but can't find an in depth review of it

To be fair, there isn't too much to say in a review of one. I think my (standard size) hunka is great - very breathable, very lightweight, compact, and the fabric is tough enough not to rub through on the nights that i have used it sleeping on hardstanding. The standard one is on the small sidethough (i'm over 6ft and slim, and its long enough, but if i had anything more than a 2/3season sleeping bag, it would compress the loft too much and reduce warmth). Its breathability compares well with the army issue version (which i also have). Ultimately though, if you are using a tarp, you only need a bivvy bag to keep a biy of light wind blown rain off you if it is very windy, or as backup should your tarp fail. In reality in all the years that i have been using tarps, that has never happened, the worst i have had is a bit of windblown rain on the foot end of the bivvy bag. They do add a little warmth though.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
These guys do very nice Bivys. I have one. Its very light, and mossy proof. Waterproof, breathable. The material they use is similiar to momentum 90, with a siliconised base.

A lot of cottage manufacturers let you measure around yourself, and get one custom made. It makes for a very comfy night.

Oware do make really good kit, bit to expensive for me though. Borah Gear do similiar bivy's but generally at a lower price.

In the end it comes down to personal preference though.
I'm currently looking to replace my Skalmantas dpm bivy with something a lot lighter.

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
To be fair, there isn't too much to say in a review of one. I think my (standard size) hunka is great - very breathable, very lightweight, compact, and the fabric is tough enough not to rub through on the nights that i have used it sleeping on hardstanding. The standard one is on the small sidethough (i'm over 6ft and slim, and its long enough, but if i had anything more than a 2/3season sleeping bag, it would compress the loft too much and reduce warmth). Its breathability compares well with the army issue version (which i also have). Ultimately though, if you are using a tarp, you only need a bivvy bag to keep a biy of light wind blown rain off you if it is very windy, or as backup should your tarp fail. In reality in all the years that i have been using tarps, that has never happened, the worst i have had is a bit of windblown rain on the foot end of the bivvy bag. They do add a little warmth though.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Since you mention the fabric's toughness against the hardstanding, are you using your sleeping mat on the inside of the bivi bag? I may opt for the XL or just go for the MOD goretex one since I would be looking for a year-round solution. I don't want my loft compressing in the winter :nono:

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Because a bivvi bag is supposed to keep out water and a sleeping bag isn't.....the same way you don't have a zip down the side of a dry bag for convenience. Also a bivvi bag is able to lay in a puddle (personal experience in Brecon) or mud where a zip could be compromised by the mud or breached by the water....a sleeping bag isn't used this way.

Yes a zip will make the bag easier to use but there are down sides to that and lets be realistic, very few bushcrafters get bumped by baddies in the night but soldiers do....and they all manage to get in and out of a none zipped bag quick enough.

Each to their own really but as I said before I don't see massive gains with having a zip but I do see potential to fail :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Agreed I remember waking up more than once sleep in a stream or a puddle that wasn't there when I went to sleep, and I was still dry as a bone

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Wacker said:
I may opt for the XL or just go for the MOD goretex one since I would be looking for a year-round solution.

I agree that the standard Hunka is too tight for Winter bags to loft fully. The larger Hunka might be OK if you're slim, but if I was looking for a single year-round solution I'd definitely go for the military one. I use the Hunka in Summer, and the military one in Winter. There's a considerable weight difference, but for a winter bag, you'll want to be giving it all the room you can.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Could you elaborate please Kooga? I was looking at the Alpkit bivvy but can't find an in depth review of it and rhyan says they are amazing so would love to know why you had such a bad night in one

I recently treated myself to an Alpkit Hunka XL in Kelp. Before I bought it, I climbed into a friends normal Hunka. I have a big ****, and am over endowed in the chest department, so I found it too tight, With a thick winter bag, the normal hunka compresses the loft on my hips to create cold spots. Hence going for the XL.

The XL is huge. Is say this coming from the XL version of the issue bivvi bag. I hadn't expected it to be quite as big, It's lovely. I initially tried it with my sleep mat inside the bag, but there just isn't enough room. If I had a tapered sleep mat I might have been ok, but with 70mm thick synmat 7UL M, there was no chance. With the sleep mat under the bag, it was lovely and roomy. I had a nice nights sleep. I woke up with a very small amount of condensation on the inside of the bivvi bag, but in the conditions, that was to be expected. I was camping in a stand of trees, with no breeze, on a warm Spanish evening. Any bag would have struggled to breath enough in those conditions.

Coming from the issue bag I am really pleased with the Hunka XL and am glad I bought it.

How big are you? You may find the XL is a good choice. If you want the standard one in Kelp, patience, they will have them in again. Jay does post on this forum occasionally, and he does actively monitor their twitter account. I've found Alpkit's customer service to be excellent. Ask Jay when they expect the next consignment.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Since you mention the fabric's toughness against the hardstanding, are you using your sleeping mat on the inside of the bivi bag? I may opt for the XL or just go for the MOD goretex one since I would be looking for a year-round solution. I don't want my loft compressing in the winter :nono:

See above for my experience trying that. If you had a closed cell foam matt, and it was of a tapered shape, you may be able to fit it inside the bag, but it didn't work for me. Having both the Hunka XL, and the issue bag, I would be inclined to suggest the hunka over the issue bag as a lighter & cheaper choice. In theory the issue bag has a higher breath-ability, but you pay for that to the tune of about 400g.

I agree that the standard Hunka is too tight for Winter bags to loft fully. The larger Hunka might be OK if you're slim, but if I was looking for a single year-round solution I'd definitely go for the military one. I use the Hunka in Summer, and the military one in Winter. There's a considerable weight difference, but for a winter bag, you'll want to be giving it all the room you can.

Just how big is your winter bag? I'll have to wait till I get back to blighty to measure for sure, but I believe the Hunka XL is bigger than the issue bag, at least towards the bottom end of the bag. When I get back, I can compare the two.

J

Kooga

Jul 22, 2015
Sussex
I have a big ****

So many 4 letter words coming to mind, the suspense is killing me... :tapedshut

How big are you?

Bout 5'8", 20"shoulders...I have a tiny ****

Thanks though Quixo, will have another look at the XL and keep an eye out for re-stock of the standard

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So many 4 letter words coming to mind, the suspense is killing me... :tapedshut

I'll leave it to your imagination, it's more entertaining that way...

Bout 5'8", 20"shoulders...I have a tiny ****

Thanks though Quixo, will have another look at the XL and keep an eye out for re-stock of the standard

Just heard from Jay at alpkit, they are expecting new stock of the standard size by the end of September.

J

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest

The only time that i have put a sleeping mat inside a bivvy bag is when i used to use a hooped bivi bag. It had a non breathable floor, and used to be a condensation magnet. I know some people do it, but i have honestly never seen the point of putting a sleeping mat inside a normal bivvy bag. The toughness i mention is because i use the hunka for military stuff, and have cut down my sleeping mat to about knee height to save weight - so every time I (and my colleagues who swap into the bag when they come off stag) roll around etc, the foot end rubs across the concrete (and we wear boots in our bags) - no holes in the fabric yet!

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Quixoticgeek said:
I believe the Hunka XL is bigger than the issue bag...
Fair enough. I understood it was only a bit bigger than the standard, which is why I went for the issue bag myself. Since it's a similar size or bigger, it should be fine. I'd imagine it's a fair bit lighter than the issue bag too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE