Bit of rust on my knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All,

I have a nice knife that I love. It's made of Carbon Steel O1 (I think) but due to my own fault I have let it get a few patches of rust on it.

How can I get it back to original glory? - all polished and clean

Any tip for stopping it happening again once its been sorted?

Cheers

Mike

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Depending on how bad it is, I'm sure that either a bit of wire wool and/or wet 'n' dry will bring it back nice and shiny.
Solution? Obviously really - when in storage for a long time ensure it's been properly oiled up and, if it's going to be unused for a proper long time, then keep it sealed as well.

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Hi Mike,
just few days ago I have cleaned from a Leatherman Surge with a Vileda Miraclean with great satisfaction, without scratching on the blade.
After that I have cleaned the tool with wd40 then oiling it very well before storing.
If you have only small rust spots this can be something to try (if that sponge is available near you), otherwise try gently (to avoid scratches) with some fine steel wool.

Cheers,
Paolo

the laird

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2006
DK
rub it down with an old piece of leather with brasso on it,it will take the so called rust marks off without leaving abrasion marks

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
If it is pitted, use a buffing wheel and some buffing compound. I "misplaced" (read: "lost") my Mora Clipper, and about 2 weeks later, after some heavy rain, found it in a brush pile. It was badly pitted. I buffed it with a coarse compound and then a fine compound. It is still pitted somewhat, but those "pits" are shiny. It works as good now as when it was new. Fortunately, none of the deep pits were on the cutting edge. The blade was lubed when I lost it. Just goes to show that lubricants can and do wash off in heavy rains.

If the pitting really annoys you, it is possible to file them out. I started to do this and then realized that I was going to spend hours working on a 12 dollar knife. Sometimes you just have to decide your time is, after all, worth something.

Last edited:

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I completely forgot I started this thread - although the problem still exists.

I'll try with some fine wire wool this weekend then I get to B&Q and let you know how I got on.

Thanks again for help.

Mike

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Autosol works well Mike, give the blade touch up with some various gardes of w&d and then polish up with the Autosol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE