bit of news for you all......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Well....

Ranger positions vary greatly, some ask for degrees, some ask for lots of practical experience, the term Ranger is used quite loosely.

Basically my position is a bit of both, they wanted academic qualifications, of which i have a few, however most of it seemed to come down to practical experience,, of which i have a wagon load. It goes hand in hand with the job specification, ie office based, more qualification, site based, more practical experience...generally

I think the key things were....

Lots of practical experience in habitat management (woodland, heath land, grassland)

Lots of estate management (post and rail, stiles, gates etc)

Knowledge of fauna and flora

Understanding of wider concepts of site management (visitor dynamics, troubleshooting)

Qualification in certain tools like chainsaw, off road vehicles etc

Experience of community involvement (both on a wider scale and simple things like giving walks)

..and also some sort of ` catch`, something above and beyond the "essential" (must have to not throw the application in the bin) and "desirable" (must have to not throw the application in the bin having read it...a bit) qualities. For me this was coming from a forestry background and having previously taught woodland management and also my bushcraft, having knowledge of the skills that those who inhabited the iron age hill fort (the remains of which are on the site) would have employed and as I discussed with them, Bushcraft is a fascinating way to engage people in a new way with understanding nature, a tree is no longer just a tree, which for a 9 year old is neither here nor there.

I was also lucky enough to attend a Ranger training course a couple of years ago which is a huge help in giving you a leg up in a field you have not yet entered(Losehill in the peak district if anyone if looking for something similar).

There are plans flying around to standardise what a `ranger` is and what they should be able to do which i think is a good thing.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Ranger, now THAT is a title to be proud of. So glad they picked you for the job even though i don't know you :p .
A real achievment, well done!

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Thanks everyone for the support, its something I`ve been working towards for a long time and decided to do it the way of the graft rather than a degree...as someone who`s quite inspirational to me replied to a query as to if they attended university......"No, i went to the woods"

I`ll be posting info about the site as there are some interesting features some of you maybe interested in and just generally it is a beautiful site.

Oh and to those wondering if Bushcrafters will be welcome on site...now that i`m a ranger, no, your all trouble makers, go away :) lol

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
That post i made all that time ago about getting appointed as Ranger, well its fiiiinally happening. On the 3rd I start work :) Councils and paperwork do not a hasty decision make :)

Only down side is i`ll be doing a hell of a lot of miles and most of my paycheck will go on fuel, but thats the only downside.

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Fallow Way said:
Oh and to those wondering if Bushcrafters will be welcome on site...now that i`m a ranger, no, your all trouble makers, go away :) lol

Ah, you're only saying that so you can keep the place to yourself :p :lmao:

Congrats on the dream job, sounds like they picked the right one for the job too, I can see your huge grin in your posts ;)

Greywolf

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Here in ireland the rangers are a section of the millitary like the sas, so i was slightly confused for a mo and then felt embarresed afterwards :lmao: well have a good time and remember when your having a bad day (we all get one no matter what) just remember how jealous i am!! :D :D :D :D

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
if you wouldnt mind awfully, i know the Rangers there use poachers for target practice, but i`m not that much of a shot, i`d hate to leave you with half an ear or something :)

In all seriousness, part of the reason i have the job is my Bushcraft skills, with the historical aspect of the site it plays an important part. John and Val Lord for example are brought in to give demonstrations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE