Bit of a problem with my poncho...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
yep as said tie the hood up around its base with teh draw string its alos best to put a guy rope or Bungie of this to stretch it up as you can see from the pics the Hood leaves exess material in the ridge area that will fill with water if left loose

also try differnt configurations the tent you have i only uesed whrn it was very windy and wet as ther isnt a lot of room in there ( we used to fit 2) if you lift one side up level with the ridge or slightly higher its a lot less cloustraphobic face the down side into the wind (open side for fire) if there arnt any trees or fences etc in the right place carry a couple of Bamboo poles to put under the corner i used to use a 4 " nail wit hthe guy rope tied to the top then just push tru the grommet hole and into the top of the bamboo never normally used more than 2 as we always set up in cover etc

if its not windy lift both sides etc
havent used my Poncho for years but did upgrade to a US woodland cammo one same size and design but much lighter material and packed real small.

i use a UK basha Tarp now its cammo as a Dry area and sleep in a hammock you can pick up a OD tarp for fairly cheap Smarty was doing some used for £5-10 at some meets a while back they are much larger but used it the same way just no hood at all to leak

ATB

Duncan

scallywag

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2008
Europe
2mg3210.jpg

Definitely, a new poncho needed! loooooooooooooooooooooooooool :D It's been so entertaining looking at the photo :D

Check this out: http://www.wolverine.com.pl/en/poncho.htm

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
yep as said tie the hood up around its base with teh draw string its alos best to put a guy rope or Bungie of this to stretch it up as you can see from the pics the Hood leaves exess material in the ridge area that will fill with water if left loose

"Catenary" is the shape A frame shelters will take on, which can be used to good effect (sheds wind, stays taut) if it is designed into the "cut" of the fabric like this here 'Megamid' for example:
800521_Betamid.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

If it's really dumping rain, you might try staking out the corners of your poncho and suspending from the hood only, run loops of cordage through the grommets to get it off the ground a little. Not exactly spacious for hanging out but room enough to lie down and weatherproof. Like the bottom drawing, but in practice the poncho is lifted up higher from the hood which sheds rain. The drawing actually looks like the poncho is setup to collect rain. Must be an army artist.
b1_1168.gif

I seem to recall after living under a poncho for awhile, that a second poncho was worth it's weight in pogey-bait.

I think you have plenty of good replies here Asa, just had to add my 2cents because picture #2 of your post.....:lmao: What can I say,,,you're most likely not the first person to experience 'udder-hood', thank you for sharing that:) .
ATB,
B4

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Glad we've all had a good laugh :D

Well I left the poncho up and I was going to tie the hood up to test it for myself but forgot so I again have "udder hood" as it's now known :)

I'll remember to tie it up tonight and hope for some rain so I can check it in the morning.

Thanks for all the great replies :D

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I wouldn't use an internal ridge guy with an issue poncho as they wear through quite quickly and start to leak. Well not unless you can take it to the QM for a replacement (he says, re-living the past!) it would be a trifle annoying! I have used a ridge pole with a poncho/basha both fitting over the basha poles and suspended from trees, makes for a very sturdy shelter.;) You can use the basha poles joined together as a suspended ridge pole too with prussik knots on each end tied to the "trees" as long as the knots dont let it slip out.

I would agree with Wayland that tying the hood with its own cords is the way I was taught shortly after we moved out of the caves!:eek: :rolleyes:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I just went out and had a quick mess around, I tied up the hood and here it is:
dqot45.jpg

But when I let go there is still a place for water to pool, will this be ok? :
2yv9mwo.jpg

I then tied a line for my hood to be help up with and it looks like it should be fine:
30w5vtc.jpg

Do you think it would still be ok without the ridge line?

Asa.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE