Bison Bushcraft Garron Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Has anyone seen, tried or reviewed this pack?

Although I'm not a great devotee of canvas packs, this one seems interesting if pricey. Still, U.K.-made and so on means that I am strangely interested...

Reactions: Roger

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
I have one. Very well made, sort of a Munro in size with well appointed leather and canvas. I found the brass rings for side storage draw strings not to my taste so they are in the drawer now. Now working up to ditching the Rush 24 and carrying a bit less stuff about.

Reactions: Nice65 and Roger

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have one. Very well made, sort of a Munro in size with well appointed leather and canvas. I found the brass rings for side storage draw strings not to my taste so they are in the drawer now. Now working up to ditching the Rush 24 and carrying a bit less stuff about.

That's good to hear. How do you find the shoulder straps? they appear to be a fairly minimal canvas/cotton arrangement; I'd be interested to hear how you find them. My finger is still hovering over the 'add to cart' button...

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
The straps are strong webbing material similar to the straps used in webbing prior to nylon.. comfortable to use and attached to the leather with copper rivets. Very retro but it does work..

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Brilliant. Many thanks for that. I think that I might just give one a try... I don't know why really but I quite like its boxy shape, the axe sleeve and even the materials...

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I've got one but it's for my birthday in two weeks!
I'll be reviewing it on my YouTube channel next month.
First impressions before my wif3 took it out of my hands were very good, looks like it's based on the Munro which is the best no bull small pack out there.

Reactions: Roger and abilou

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Ive heard that before!
I'm not a stereotypical Welshman, can't stand rugby and I don't hate the English.
Most of the time....

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My latest video has my Garron pack, theres quite a bit of other stuff on the video!

I loved the video; it's great to be given objective reviews of kit, with reasons given. Obviously, I was - and still am - interested in the Garron pack. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with those shoulder straps on longer days and with heavier loads.

Many thanks for posting it - it's been really useful.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
It may be fine, as long as you don't put loads of weight in it, it's not meant for heavy load anyway.
I love it Rog.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m only 20 in, looking at the knife so far. Now, it’s a tidy looking device, and I’m all for the thinner whippy blade, but did it do anything that a shorter convex bladed knife couldn’t do? It struggled with the batonning, simply because the spine wasnt able to open the split, particularly on such a wide blade. A BRKT Bravo, Aurora, Canadian would perform better. Don’t get me wrong, there’s no criticism of the knife, but I think it’s uses are niche. The wide bellied tip gives the necessary weight to the business end for chopping, but I wonder if it’s better at hacking greenery as is a machete?

Like I say though, it does look very nice. The shockcord would annoy me no end though, I can’t be doing with either tangles or stuff whipping about on the handle, that’s a dangerous distraction. Subbed, I’ll watch the rest in a bit. :)

Reactions: robevs73

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It was a new toy.

100% with you on new toy excitement, and that’s a good one, the sheath looks bloody brilliant too.

I’ve just spent rather a silly amount of money on the Benchmade grey G10 Griptilian with blue standoffs and liners. My old black plastic Grip has been a worthy working knife for many years, its plastic closed back handle forgiven for its superb utility, and it has a lifetime of use left in it, but....new toys...:)

So when you gonna make the Bushtool with a bit more handle? I loved that knife to bits, but the butt plate sat just inside my palm. With a convex grind, well, that would be an interesting knife for sure. ;)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Has anyone seen, tried or reviewed this pack?

Although I'm not a great devotee of canvas packs, this one seems interesting if pricey. Still, U.K.-made and so on means that I am strangely interested...

Just finished watching Robs video. Cheers Rob, thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciate you leaving in the fire fail and odd mistake. So many reviewers would have edited, leaving the novice feeling a bit of a failure. The Garron pack is beautiful, and as you say, pricy Tiley. Makes me feel I ought to grow a handlebar tache and oil an immaculately trimmed beard. I think I’d also smell slightly of Sandlewood and Cedar. :)

I like my Munro for its simplicity and ability to carry a couple of trekking poles if need be, but I wouldn’t really be carrying an axe for most country outings. The Garron without the axe fixings would possibly be my ideal day pack, but it really has an appeal even with it.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
100% with you on new toy excitement, and that’s a good one, the sheath looks bloody brilliant too.

I’ve just spent rather a silly amount of money on the Benchmade grey G10 Griptilian with blue standoffs and liners. My old black plastic Grip has been a worthy working knife for many years, its plastic closed back handle forgiven for its superb utility, and it has a lifetime of use left in it, but....new toys...:)

So when you gonna make the Bushtool with a bit more handle? I loved that knife to bits, but the butt plate sat just inside my palm. With a convex grind, well, that would be an interesting knife for sure. ;)
Sorry mate but I must be missing something, have you got huge hands?
The bushtool will remain the same size and grind but I'm looking into stainless steel blades.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sorry mate but I must be missing something, have you got huge hands?
The bushtool will remain the same size and grind but I'm looking into stainless steel blades.

No, normal to large I suppose. The buttplate is quite square and I found it dug in when using the tip of the knife because of the way the knife was angled in my hand. Fine in a classic grip, not fine for some of the tasks I wanted like driving the tip into a bit of kindling to start the split.

Reactions: robevs73

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE