Bishops Wood

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I haven't posted here for a while so I thought I'd drop a few pictures in to show you what I've been up to.

Bishops-Wood-Night-Camp.jpg

I spent last weekend at the Bishops Wood Centre with a Viking re-enactment group at a private event aimed at giving us an opportunity to try out some things that are difficult with the public breathing down your neck.

Bishops-Wood-Shrine_1.jpg

That gave me a chance to set up some new shots for the web site and also do a few maintenance and repair jobs on some of the larger equipment.

Bishops-Wood-Night-Work.jpg

This will probably be my last event with that society because my eyes are failing now and I can no longer do craftwork on site without glasses.

Some groups allow glasses under such circumstances but that one does not so it's time for me to move on.

Having said that, I'm actually starting to get into something a little less historical these days which is making life interesting.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Great pictures!

It's interesting to see the many different directions bushcraft has taken some of the forum members over the years, I think this post highlights it nicely.

Dave

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The only constant thing in life is change and as evolutions go Steampunk opens up some fascinating potabilities. Good luck and keep on doing awesome work wherever your journey takes you.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
As ever, wonderful pix. I can see how wearing specs can dilute the authenticity but seems a bit harsh. :viking:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
"Bushcraft" as some of us interpret it here, is something I had been doing before I ever heard the term. First time I heard a name for it was in the late 70s.

For me it was just a blend of back to basics outdoor life and tendency to make or modify my equipment to better suit my needs. I use the term now because it's become recognisable.

A big part of what originally attracted me to living history was the camping, which was as back to basics as it could be, and the fact that there was an astonishing range of stuff to make. The interest in history was a side effect.

Now after a quarter of a century, I teach history and I've just about run out of Viking related stuff I can make. The failing eyesight is a result of living much longer than most Vikings could ever expect but added to the lack of new stuff to make it is prompting me to find a new challenge.

"Steampunk" is based upon an aesthetic that I have always enjoyed going back to the science fiction of my youth and gives me a new range of stuff to make or modify.

It also includes a nostalgic Victorian/Edwardian feel which I'm not old enough to remember directly but it was still familiar from my Grandparents houses when I was a kid and possibly accounts for the retro vibe running through a lot of my outdoor gear.

I find myself mildly surprised at the new direction our lives are now taking us, Debs is into Steampunk as well, but I am having great fun with it.

Interestingly, I'm finding a a fair few people in the SP community with quite similar interests and backgrounds to me. The number of old re-enactors is quite pronounced and the craft mentality is at the very core of the movement.

The next thing to do as far as I am concerned is to combine Steampunk with camping and that is a project that is already under way.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I can sympathise with the eyesight issues! Anyway I'm sure we'd all like to learn more about your viking tripod and associated cooking equipment, does it get used for cooking on or is it mainly a display item?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The tripod is based upon one found in the Oseberg ship burial. It's been made a little taller than the original because most sites we work on require us to have a fire raised off the ground.

The hanging grill is based upon one found at Mastermyr. That is about the right size.

In answer to your question yes they are used for cooking although I haven't got anything on the grill in this picture.

The spiral shaped item lying on the barrel is an interesting item also based upon the Oseberg find. It's assumed to be for grilling but it could also be used as a salamander. Jury is out on that one.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Very sad that the stitch-counters have driven away a really good viking. Definitely their loss.

A huge gain for the Steampunk world though! One of my dislikes of things steampunk is the way that a lot of people think that a spray-painted water pistol and a pair of welders goggles will do. I can see that your talents with traditional materials are going to produce some really fine curiosities. I can't wait to see your camping set-up!

Z

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I suspect my leaving will hurt them more than me. Time will tell.

We're setting up a Steampunk themed camp next May. ( Needed to be booked well in advance.) Should have some interesting pictures to show then. Quite a few from this site are getting involved too.

I know what you mean about the painted plastic. It doesn't really cut it with me either.

Although I've seen some very nice looking work it's still going to feel like plastic when you pick it up.

Radon-Gas-Torch_1.jpg

This was one of my first projects. Has the weight and heft of a real thing and looks far better too.

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
There are aspects/elements of Steampunk that certainly appeal to a healthy number of Females that is not the case with Bushcraft if the pictures I've seen on the internet are anything to go by. This may of course have something to do with a liking for costumes made of leather!

I'll get my cloak

K

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
The amazing talents on this ere BCUK is staggering it really is. That Steam Punk stuff is really interesting I have to say, I really do like the aesthetic. 👍🏻

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There is a reason behind the painted plastic; most of the comic-con events will not let people in with metal props. So you end up having to make things from plastic and painting them to imitate plastic.
Just isn't the same . . .

Wayland, sorry to hear about your eyesight. It is a right bugger. Makes doing even diy difficult.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've not been near any of the Comic Cons but there are a few Steampunk events that ban any "realistic looking" weapons to avoid confusion and possible trouble with law enforcement.

This divides opinion among the SP community almost as much as knife carry does here.

Personally I would just wear a costume that does not require weapons but I'd hate to think what a Comic Con would make of tools on my Engineer's hat?

imagejpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE