Bishops Wood

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There are aspects/elements of Steampunk that certainly appeal to a healthy number of Females that is not the case with Bushcraft if the pictures I've seen on the internet are anything to go by. <Snip.

Intriguingly, when I set up the Steam Tent Co-Operative group on Facebook to start running some Steampunk/Old School Camping events, roughly half of the applicants for membership were female. Debs found that particularly encouraging.

I do think "Bushcraft" has an image problem and some of it comes from the "Macho" knife talk. Get over it guys, it's just a tool.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've not been near any of the Comic Cons but there are a few Steampunk events that ban any "realistic looking" weapons to avoid confusion and possible trouble with law enforcement.

This divides opinion among the SP community almost as much as knife carry does here.

Personally I would just wear a costume that does not require weapons but I'd hate to think what a Comic Con would make of tools on my Engineer's hat?

imagejpeg
It's kind of sad, isn't it?
I've been to one comic-con and a friend of our daughter's makes stuff for cosplayers. It has to be plastic, fabric and foam to meet the restrictions.
They went to a comic-con event in London as a group dressed as characters from Mad Max - some of their gear was pushing the boundaries - real (air) rifle stocks with plastic 'barrels' and stuff. were only just allowed in, mostly because accompanied by an adult (my wife) also in costume.

The hat looks great.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I cannot work out where they could practically draw the line? How can you possible ban all metalwork?

If a metal prop is not allowed then what about metal buttons on your clothing? How about a metal zipper?

If they are allowed then what about a metal pen?

If a metal pen is allowed then why not a metal sonic screwdriver.

If that is allowed then why not a metal gauntlet and so on.

Following the logic of "no metal props" just seems unworkable to me and definitely something that would dissuade me from ever going to such an event.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I cannot work out where they could practically draw the line? How can you possible ban all metalwork?
Anything that nerds in a nerd-rage might use as weapons on each other seems to be the rule. They have bouncers at the large events checking the stuff as you enter. So small stuff is ok, tools like dividers would probably not be allowed. Long sticks definitely not allowed. Functioning bows not allowed (strings have to be made of elastic so they won't actually work) or the limbs weak foam.

Makes it pretty difficult to make realistic-looking movie props that are solid enough for someone to carry around that also pass the rules. The cos-play manufacturer often stays at our house and our living room gets covered in bits of foam, paper, card, plastic, fabric while she is making stuff. She ships all over, it is amazing, gets orders from the USA, Canada, NZ. Guess it is because it is quite difficult to make it look 'real' when it has to made of foam, plastic and rubber.

The events are pretty amazing, and seeing what people make is impressive. I've seen someone in a full-size, absolutely realistic 'groot' suit (from guardians of the galaxy), an Iron Man suit they'd made themselves from fibreglass that looked identical to the movie; just about anything you can think of, it will be there.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE