Biscuits Fruit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Is there anyone like me out there that loves the fruit biscuits from UK RAT packs?
Unlike the biscuits brown you cant seem to get them separately.
So I have been searching the supermarkets for anything even remotely close and have failed, Until today!
I have found the perfect alternative at my local Tesco.
Nairn's Fruit and Spice Oat biscuits.
[/IMG]
They look and whats more important, taste the same. Even almost the same texture!

Attachments

• 601941b.jpg
    601941b.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 229

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
:lmao: I read the title and was coming in here to recommend those Nairn's!!

I love :aargh4: them. They make great Kelly Kettling biscuits - and once you open one of the sub-packs you have an excuse to eat all of them ;)

The ginger ones are quite nice too. Almost hot.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
bikething said:
The biscuits brown used to be different too... more like their namesake - doggy biscuits ! :D complete with the grid of holes

:eek: My Mother once bought a stone sack of assorted doggy biscuits for our collie. It was the Summer holidays and my bother and I managed to munch our way through the lot in the weeks off school. :rolleyes: My Granny commented that at least we'd have strong teeth and bones and shiny hair :D
I really liked those hard black diamond shaped ones :cool: R. seemed to prefer the yellow ones. Heaven alone knows what was in them though we both still like crunchy foods :rolleyes: Our Father just laughed and said they had to be better for us than the army hard tack stuff.

Recipe for diy Garibaldi's; they will cook on an upturned pot over a few hot embers of a campfire or a hot stone or even in an oven :)
The measure is an ordinary spoon, soup or desert.

4 heaped spoonsful of self-raising flour
I heaped spoonful sugar
pinch of salt
2 spoonsful milk/ water/ juice/ cold tea
I good spoonful of butter or margarine or scant 2 of oil
2 heaped spoonsful of chopped currants/ other dried fruits

Mix all the dried ingredient, except the fruit, together.
Use a fork, it's easier.
Stir in fat or oil and liquid and mix firmly into a smooth dough.
Pat or roll the dough out into a rough rectangular shape and sprinkle dried fruit
over one half. Fold dough over and firmly flatten out again. Cut into lozenges or rectangles and bake fairly hot. (they need about quarter an hour at 180oC)
They keep well, if you can resist them :)

cheers,
Toddy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Am I really the only person on the planet who actually likes the Biscuits Brown I wonder ?
Has to be said that I prefer the Biscuits Fruit though.

Sandy compares any of the biscuits from Rat Packs to be the modern equivalent of Dwarf bread (a la Terry Pratchets books) :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Longstrider said:
Sandy compares any of the biscuits from Rat Packs to be the modern equivalent of Dwarf bread (a la Terry Pratchets books) :lmao:

As in

"I think the cat p***** on it"

"Hot Damn"

:D

Red

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I love them both brown and fruity............yes dwarf bread is a good comparison and the pate that is meant to be put on them i wouldnt feed your dog let alone my own. :D
Rat pack food is skank but i love it for some reason dont know why.............Im off now to sit in a dark corner for a while :lmao:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Longstrider said:
Am I really the only person on the planet who actually likes the Biscuits Brown I wonder ?

You know - at the end of the day it all REALLY depends on just how hungry you are!

(and yes I like biscuits brown - mind I also like cheese possessed and the old chicken supreme so maybe I'm no judge at all)

Cheers
Nick

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I seem to remember when the fruit biscuits came in - first ration packs I had were in the Cadet Force in the early '70s - they only had the plain biscuits but, like Longstrider, I didn't dislike them.

I discovered the fruit biscuits when in the OTC at University (late '70s) and they were something else! (if the plain biscuits were Dwarf bread, then were the fruit ones Lembas?).

Can't remember what the fruit biscuits were called, but I'm sure they must have had a reverse naming like the tins of "Puddings, Sweet, Mixed Fruit".

And then there were those tubes of consended milk...

And the fat drenched tins of bacon grill...

And I'm sure I've still got one or two hexy stoves up in my old kitbag tucked away at the back of the loft.

Happy days...

Geoff

Gailainne

Life Member
I had my very first "biscuits fruit" on my Loch Lomond trip with wOOdsmoke, I knew I tasted similar before but couldn't place it, till woodsmoke said Garibaldi's, my gran always used to have them in her "tin" for when we visited :D. Toddy that recipe looks like a superb camp food, gonna have to give that one a go, thank you. Prob try it in the oven first tho :eek:.

Do you lot realise since joining this forum, I've cooked more food from scratch, than in the intervening 40 mumble odd years beforehand. :You_Rock_

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE