Birdsong at night

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For the past week or so there's been a bird singing away in the trees along the burn and it seems to go on 24/7. I've just let the cat in and the bird is trilling merrily, just as it was at 10pm too. It's noticeable just now and I have yet to catch sight of the bird.
What bird is likely to sing in January, at night, in a pouring down wet woodland, in Scotland?

cheers,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Don't know about woodland but there were a few "burds" singing in my street about the same time last night :D

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Birdsong at night usually makes me think nightingale but not in January in Scotland. The two I most often hear singing late are robins and blackbirds. There was a post here recently with some links to sites with recordings of birdsong, you could compare to, if you only have one bird singing its often easy to recognise.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I suspect you live in the countryside but in the cities the street lights are throwing the birds off kilter as they are bathed in a permanent light so feel they have to defend their territories 24/7 so sing all night!

See this thread on WAB which may give you a few clues:- Night-time birdsong

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i would have said Robin, looks like what some of the WAB folk have also said.

A nightingale is a fantastic thing to sit there and listen too - one of my favorite wildlife experiences, its eerily melancholy yet uplifting. Look out for them in the summer :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I finally caught sight of it, it looks sort of like a larger version of a female siskin :confused: No idea what it is though.

I was starting to wonder if someone had lost a budgie :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links :)

cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I finally caught sight of it, it looks sort of like a larger version of a female siskin :confused: No idea what it is though.

I was starting to wonder if someone had lost a budgie :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links :)

cheers,
Toddy

Song thrush comes to mind, you can hear one here Toddy http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/songthrush/index.asp
They will often sing quite late but never heard them in the middle of the night. I suppose it could look like a large mrs siskin..?? I have heard robins singing in the middle of the night but they do not look like a large mrs siskin. Nightingales sing mainly at dawn and dusk but they shouldn't be in the country yet and are mainly down south.
Are you able to record the sound Toddy..?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like the one i heard yesterday evening and again this morning. Lovely call reet cheers you up :) thanks for link the JohnyP :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Really good links :D Much appreciated.

Recording sound is technically possible....if I pester on of my Tech refs :rolleyes: I'll see what we can do.

I get a lot of little birds in the garden, I'm sort of keeping an eye on them just now because of the RSPB garden watch thing.
Today I've seen, (greatest number of any species at one time)
8 bluetits
3 robins(one headed over the back fence with the resident one in full chase :) )
2 wrens
4 blackbirds,
3 thrushes
5 coal tits
7 great tits
10 siskins
3 reed buntings
7 chaffinches
5 wood pigeons
4 magpies
1 GS woodpecker
5 starlings
7 long tailed tits
1 bullfinch
2 hedge sparrows
6 house sparrows
3 tree sparrows (supposed to be shy, they just fit in with the rest here :confused: )
No greenfinches or goldies today.

I know it's just a representative sample of what this area has, but it pleases me to see them.

I've just checked out the window and wouldn't you believe it? the wee thing's silent :rolleyes: suppose he has to sleep sometime.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I couldn't see clearly enough tbh, it was up the top of my apple tree. There were female siskins nearby and it kind of fitted in...but a bitty bigger. That said, the siskins have got smallish beaks for finches anyway. I wondered about female greenfinch but it wasn't as bright and the greenfinch sort of wheezes and chirrups.
After all this I haven't heard a tweet all evening from it :rolleyes:
cheers,
Toddy

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I see you have the Hedgesparrow on your list. That was my first thought, it's song is similar to
the Robin but goes on a lot longer, and tends to be sweeter and gentler. Look for the dark grey top to its head. May be wrong, but just a thought. Robins tend to be one of the last to
sing in the evening up this way, but I am never out too early in the mornings these days being retired, though that is no excuse. Like my lye in these cold mornings, do plenty of dog walking most of the day.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
3 reed buntings

I like reed buntings... You must be near water then Toddy...

ReedBuntingsmall.jpg

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Yep I heard a bird song the other night too, at around 10 or 11pm!

I recall watching Titchmarsh saying the streetlights had them thinking it was dawn...! :bluThinki

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like reed buntings... You must be near water then Toddy...

ReedBuntingsmall.jpg

There's a burn not 30' from the gable wall. It's a scraggy mess but the amount of wildlife we get is astonishing.

Your photo is excellent :) The reed buntings I see here have darker heads. The males have black polls and even the females have very dark lines defining their faces.
They usually come up to the garden when the weather turns cold, the male comes first and them comes his little harem of females (I don't know if this is how it really is, but it's how they arrive and there are always more females than males too)

The bird is singing now up in the ivy covered silver birch and I still can't workout what it is.
HWMBLT says that we can't record it properly :(

cheers,
Toddy

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I had a similar experience last year around feb/march. You could hear this bird squarking as it went up and down my road, now I live 3000mtrs from the nearest sea water edge and it bothered me for nights. I sat up all night when I was working and to my astonishment it turned out to be a black face seagull. It had a nest on a roof 6 doors up. Never heard it since.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
There's a burn not 30' from the gable wall. It's a scraggy mess but the amount of wildlife we get is astonishing.

Your photo is excellent :) The reed buntings I see here have darker heads. The males have black polls and even the females have very dark lines defining their faces.
They usually come up to the garden when the weather turns cold, the male comes first and them comes his little harem of females (I don't know if this is how it really is, but it's how they arrive and there are always more females than males too)

The bird is singing now up in the ivy covered silver birch and I still can't workout what it is.
HWMBLT says that we can't record it properly :(

cheers,
Toddy

Does anyone there have a pda (hand held computer) or a mobile phone that records..? I have recorded bird song quite well on such things..
The above photo is a female reed bunting. This one, like you say, with the dark bib, is the male..
Reedbunting648x486.jpg

Do you get Cetti's warblers there...?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE