Bird ID help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I caught a couple of quick snaps of this handsome chap in my back garden and ain't sure what it is, my first instict is a Peregrine but given my location that's doubtful.
I estimate his height at about 7-9 inches high or 16-20 cms in new money. What do you guys who know much more about these things than me reckon.
Sharp almost sickle like wings in flight but folds into a "V" shape at times and flies very very fast and the agility is amazing. Anybody?
Please excuse the poor photo quality as they were taken in a real hurry and a bit shaky with hand held and no rest with a large zoom lens.

Oh no it won't let me attach pics, it says I cannot add attachments, what the hell is wrong?

Last edited:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
It's definately a bird of prey alright, large hooked yellow beak an a vicious set of talons on yellow legs. Dark brown wings with a white or cream coloured front with small brown bar shaped speckles. Large yellow forward facing eyes.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Nice link thanks Shewie, certainly looks like a Peregrine to me comparing those pictures. I've asked Barn Owl to post the photos up for me so hopefully when he does so you'll be able to see them. Can't understand why I can't upload them.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice link thanks Shewie, certainly looks like a Peregrine to me comparing those pictures. I've asked Barn Owl to post the photos up for me so hopefully when he does so you'll be able to see them. Can't understand why I can't upload them.

Email the pics to me if you want mate and I'll stick them up for you

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Pergrines are a tad larger, no? From the first description I would echo Nugget's suggestion of Kestrel or Sparrowhawk.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sniper's photos ....

Birds006.jpg

Birds003.jpg

Birds007.jpg

I'm not sure about Peregrine now, it looks more Sparrowhawk with that plumage

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hobby is a very infrequent visitor to Scotland.

Merlin will still be on the high ground likely but will be starting to come down lower.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Ok thanks fellas Sparrowhawk it is then. This is'nt the kind of area I would expect to see a peregrine, no high cliffs unless you count a couple of high rise blocks of flats. That's why I've been flummocksed, there is even a write up in the local paper about it and they suggested a peregrine. Now I can set them straight. My thanks to all and especially Shewie, cheers mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE