Birch tapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
This reminds me. I'm sure ive saved a bottle of birch sap wine I made last year somewhare. Bet it tastes gorgeous now. Think I'll go grab a mugs worth tomorrow from my favorite spot, to keep in touch.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Thanks Maddave,

Can you drink it like water?

How do you make the "delicious taffy like candy"
Shane

Of course.... Ity's a lovely refreshing drink in it's own right. To make taffy (or toffee) simply reduce it down by boiling but do this in an old pan as it's a bit of a chore getting it clean after. When it's boiled down to a thick caramel like consistency pour it out onto a cooling tray covered in greaseproof paper and allow to cool.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Just got back from setting out several bottles to collect sap. Will be going out tomorrow morning to see how much there is.

I must say, we got through a surprising number of 'put your finger in the hole to see if it's wet and ready' comments. More than you'd think were truly necessary.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
yeah its running here in Kings Lynn, i have a very large birch and just went out and tapped it, ran straight away, so will be off to the woods in the next few days!

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Still not got anything in leicestershire yet.... maybe I'm doing my knife test wrong... it's my first time!

fixed blade brushetto(?) balder... stab it in as far as it will go, in this case, about half an inch... wait 30 seconds.... nothing.

might go out with the old battery drill tomorrow night and have a proper go.

Mar 7, 2010
East kent
its flowing in kent
.5 Lt in 10 min
march007.jpg

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
what is the deal with this sap! Went out this after noon and drilled a tree - not even moist! Felt bad that i'd made a hole, but did the wooden plug thing etc.

Never done this before but everything is budding like made here (london), curious to know where leaf man is located. Must be a very warm little microclimate location...?

im in south yorks matey, and so far ive had over 6 litres. Got a full demijohn brewing, 2 litres in t'freezer. Keepin it there incase this brew is pants and leaving some empty bottles for some 'stinger' nettle beer. Mmmm

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
you could have missed it, it doesnt rise at the same flow for too long. eventually it will look as if it has stopped. remember to try it on a healthy looking tree, at an upward angle and about an inch in. failing this look out for maples and try them, same method.
you could always wait a couple of weeks if you have no luck and try making nettle trpe concoctions, or dandilion wine, gorse flower brew can be done now aswell

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Went out to look at a new bit of woodland, got thirsty so used a tiny bit of Sycamore as a spout and used a pocket knife to make a hole in a young birch. Constant drip (at least once every second) that quickly filled my hand. Tasted a bit barky and not sweet yet

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
just drilled me a nice 10mm hole in one of the bigger birch trees near me.....

FLOWING LIKE A TROOPER!

it seems my knife wasn't penetrating far enough, the real flow of sap was well over an inch into the tree.

there we have it, flowing well in leicestershire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE