Birch tapping weekend at Swyn's in April.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Variant 13.

You'd be very welcome. I did send a couple of PM's too.

Similar welcome to you if you can make it, abushcrafter!

Swyn.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have a request to any one of those who are coming this week end.....

It would be nice to get the whole weekend on camera, and as I seem to have completely failed in my attempts to post pictures, I am asking for someone to photograph those things happening at this event with a view to posting the pictures.

Thank you in advance!

Swyn.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I have a request to any one of those who are coming this week end.....

It would be nice to get the whole weekend on camera, and as I seem to have completely failed in my attempts to post pictures, I am asking for someone to photograph those things happening at this event with a view to posting the pictures.

Thank you in advance!

Swyn.
I can bring a camera and post on photobucket if nobody better can oblige - Ill be there anyway

Cheers
Nickg

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Swyn

Last minute I know but I'll be bringing my daughter along - its a bit like inviting the entire St Trinians with me - hope thats OK

Cheers
Nick

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Excellent Nick, it will be good to see you AND your daughter!

Tony. Thanks for the kind offer.

Cheers from Swyn.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
As per the Fast Show "Today oi be makin' sappin' stuff".

I have assembled some bits and bobs; A large collection of plastic containers. Three different sizes of clear plastic pipe, 16mm, 13mm & 9mm. I have made four hand augers to try, two at 16mm and two at 13mm. I have also made some16mm hollow punches using stainless steel tube, these should work in a similar way to material/leather cutting, with the little ring of bark perhaps being pressed back into its hole (I hope!) These tools will be available for sale at cost at the end (providing they are successful!)

I have found a Silver Birch tree that has fallen over a ride and consequently will be logged soon. This should be a good practice tree as it is still attatched to its root system. This will enable folks to have a go and practice with all the tools in the box including knives, etc.
There are quite a few other trees to be investigated including some young ones. Hopefully the practice will ensure efficient and clean operating procedures resulting in minimal damage, not forgetting to collect a good amount of sap to taste and use!

There is plenty of firewood as ever and the venison, bagged and dressed last week, is now thawing.:D :D :D

George... your poles are stored in the other barn, please don't forget them!:eek:

Looking forward to seeing all of you and hoping the weather will be kind!
Cheers,

Swyn.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hope it worked out fine Swyn. Did you get much success? Round here the birch have just started popping buds so it looks like the seasons over.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I think everyone learned something over the weekend. For me it was the fact that a subtle approach seemed to be the best overall way. We are always a couple of weeks behind so no problems with tapping the trees.
I certainly made the job interesting with our assorted tools, all sharp and pointy!

Jason kindly demonstrated the stick and knife method and George demonstrated the best place to drill......,which was near the ground. This meant that the receptacle had support and could be hidden, although perhaps vulnerable to dirt and interested creatures.
The result in amounts of sap collected from these two different trees was equal, one pint each. This was over a 16 hour period. The four other trees tried resulted in experience but not volume! We healed them with plugs and clay. I will observe the results over the summer.

In consequence I would prefer using the stick and knife method and would recommend a much deeper hole if drilling as this allows better purchase for the plug.

George and his friend Will reduced the other sap that was collected by boiling over the fire. The remaining liquid was sweet and pleasant, although more careful boiling would have resulted in a finer taste. We all agreed that a ratio of 50:1 would be a good guide in amounts required.

I will put the pics that I took on a disk and send them up to Tony ASAP so that folks can see what we were up to.
I hope that the other photographers will post too.

Cheers from Swyn.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Thanks for a great weekend Swyn. I had a really great time and i think will enjoyed it too. Thankyou for orginizing the poles and letting me raid your scrap metal pile. The ducks hatch in 9 days and they will have a great enclosure to look forward too.
Cheers
George
:)

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
letting me raid your scrap metal pile.
He isn't the only one :p I nicked 1 good cooking oil drum,for a wood burning stove :rolleyes:.As well as a large catering can for a mini one. ;)

I will post the results on the forum and a link here. When I get around to it.
tat tar :)
Thanks muchly :You_Rock_
Alexander

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE