birch spoon finishes

dragon383

Jul 24, 2012
maine, usa
i tried my hand at carving my first birch spoon, which came out pretty good! my question is.... when i put olive oil on it (i put 3 coats on) i just poured it out of the bottle right on the spoon. was i supposed to boil the oil first? if theres anyone who can help me out here id appreciate it very much.

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
I heat the oil up a little before applying it as I think it helps it soak in better. I don't boil the oil however. I also wrap the oiled spoon in cling-film afterwards to help the oil soak in even more. Leave overnight and unwrap. Ta da!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I found that using olive made the spoons /wood smell rancid after a while, I now use either walnut oil or tung oil, and I do not put on lots of coats any more just the one, after five minutes I wipe off any excess and polish up, done.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Olive oil can go rancid after a while, use either pure linseed oil, flax seed oil, or walnut oil, if you are not allergic from any of the above.put your spoon in a vessel and put it in the oven on low heat for 15mins to half an hour should do it.
Cheers

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As above re olive oil.

Personally I like to heat a jug of oil in a microwave for 2-3 minutes (not enough to boil it, but get it hot), then either poour this over the piece, or just sit the spoon in the oil until it stops fizzing.

A downside of this is that if you use hot oil for too long, or get it too hot, it can slightly 'toast' the wood, darkening it. Not a problem if you don't mind that. I generally only do this for a spoon that I intend to see regular actual use, as the hot oil seals the wood very effectively.

Walnut oil and groundnut oil are my favourites, or rapeseed oil if I need to avoid nut allergies.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Quite frankly no oil is needed at all for a user.
If you buy a cheap mass produced wooden spoon it will not be oiled and will last years. Just keep it clean and dry.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Quite frankly no oil is needed at all for a user.
If you buy a cheap mass produced wooden spoon it will not be oiled and will last years. Just keep it clean and dry.

I agree, but an untreated spoon can pick up strong flavours like coffee or chilli, and is more likely to be stained by the food too.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i like to soak mine. i make a tray that forms round the spoon from tin foil, so the spoon can sit and soak in it's own little bespoke bath. take the spoon out, hang it up with a piece of cotton so all the excess oil drips back into the bath. then pour the unused oil back into the bottle.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE