Birch Sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elendeor

Jan 12, 2008
Bath
Hi everyone, im intrested in collecting birch sap this spring, i was just wondering when is the best time for it? and does it matter where abouts in the country you are?
cheers

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Keep checking the buds on your local birches. The second they start to burst into life, it is time to go. I was getting sap in Germany around march time, not sure if there woukd be much of a difference in the UK although I believe there are regional variations. What you are essentially getting is a sugary water, but slightly more viscous looking. You can drink it straight from the tree.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The harvesting time seems to vary from year to year these days!
but there are also north/south variations as well, with the south being earlier.

Speaking from the Newcastle/Gateshead latitude:
last year it was well into April, where as 2006, it was the back end of March.
Following the tip with buds will get you onto the flow when it starts.

A couple of other tips are:
You need to select tree's of at least 30cm's diameter.
Put your tap into the south facing aspect of the tree.
Obviously, make sure you plug the tap hole tightly when your done, keeping the plug as clean as possible.

There are a few references to birch sap knocking around on here including one with my "patent":D sap collection bottle-
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x125/stalch/bottleresized.jpg
it's 2 tesco's mountain tap--no Spring-water bottles, with cordage made from pallet wrap and toilet roll wrap, handle plastic!-(buy NOWT!-recycle):D

Good luck
R.B.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Hey. The window for collecting birch sap in the uk is quite a short one, just a couple of weeks in my (limited) experience. It starts earlier in the south, and will have some regional/ local variation. Even the north and south side of a wood will differ.

Clip a twig to check the flow is on, rather than bore a hole, and time it to when the wild/ common daffodils are starting to flower where you are. If the flow doesn't coincide with the daffs coming into bloom look out for some similar sign and let us know!

You've probably read this before, but... choose a discreet location, a tree with a diameter larger than a foot, bore with a sharp new drill bit, don't take more than a gallon per tree, avoid using the same tree two years running, and stop up the hole carefully. The latter is harder than you might think (the pressure of the sap blew out a champagne cork I'd hammered in!)

Cheers and good luck.
y0dsa.

I collected some last march, although I used an aluminium mug to collect it & it tainted the taste. I'd suggest using a stainless steel container to make sure you get to enjoy the taste as its meant to be.

Just my experience...

M

Mouldsy

I live in Northern Ireland
I was out for a walk this morning and tapped a birch, I got about half a litre after about two hours.I was very surprised as any other time I have had to wait to about March time to get any, It must be the very mild winter we are getting as I saw some Daffs and Bluebells starting to push there way through as well, Also the Cherry blossoms have been on the trees for about three weeks as well.
Rgds Davy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It only tastes sweet after you boil it down for the birch syrup. It's a bit like putting a spoonful of sugar in a gallon of tea, you won't taste it. Put the same spoonful of sugar in a cup of tea and you know it's there. You have to reduce the water content to get the sweetness. It's still full of vitamin C though when it comes straight from the tree. Try using it to make tea with an earl grey tea bag and a teaspoon of honey, marvelous.

Eric

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Should the birch sap be clear as water? (as seen on Ray Mears)

I went for a short walk in the woods today after work and 'tested' a couple of birches with the point of a knife - There was sap flowing from some of them, but not others..

where i did get sap (seen trickling down the blade of the knife) it was a cloudy colour - is this right?? or do i have to let the first dribble flow away before the sap proper starts running?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thats strange Eric the sap I tasted for the first time the other morning I thought was quite sweet. Maybe my taste buds have become a bit heightened after stopping smoking some time ago! Dave

rancid badger

Should the birch sap be clear as water? (as seen on Ray Mears)

I went for a short walk in the woods today after work and 'tested' a couple of birches with the point of a knife - There was sap flowing from some of them, but not others..

where i did get sap (seen trickling down the blade of the knife) it was a cloudy colour - is this right?? or do i have to let the first dribble flow away before the sap proper starts running?

I would let the first bit run away but to be honest, it probably wont make a lot of difference to the finished item. It will run perfectly clear once it's flowing at full tilt through the tree. You're maybe still a little early that's all.

On the sweetness question; I would liken it to a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar in about 2 pints of water. It also has a "dry" quality to it, very "green"? not in colour, more in the minds eye:cool: and also very refreshing, when newly collected.It's a shame it flows when it does in a way, it would be very nice in high summer. A couple of years back, I froze about 2 litres of it and drank it in July!
The ice cube method works fine;)
best Wishes
R.B.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I tried tapping a maple today, a couple of hours but no sap came out. Does this mean the sap is not ready yet, or does sap not flow at night?

rancid badger

I tried tapping a maple today, a couple of hours but no sap came out. Does this mean the sap is not ready yet, or does sap not flow at night?

It does flow overnight, although I'm not certain if it flows at the same rate. Things to keep in mind are:
Tap the southerly or sunny side of the tree, choose tree's of more than about a foot diameter and always try to plug the tap when your done.

I think it's probably still a bit early.It depends where you are and of course, the prevailing weather.
Your maple sap should be significantly sweeter than birch by the way;)
regards
R.B.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I just realised I've tapped the north side of it. I tapped underneath where a large branch came out, as I heard this is a good place?

rancid badger

I just realised I've tapped the north side of it. I tapped underneath where a large branch came out, as I heard this is a good place?

Oh... don't know about that one, I can see how it may be linked in , however but as a general rule I keep mine about 2 feet off the ground, making sure my collection bottle is also clear of the deck.
This is my normal collection setup:
bottleresized.jpg

best wishes
R.B.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
^^Yes. Cut the bark and lift it, without removing it from the tree.

Use your knife to make a v shaped cut in the tree, and put a twig (take the bark off) in the point of the v.

The sap will run down the cut, down the twig and drip into your receptacle.

A slower method, but still efective.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE