Birch sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 31, 2005
Germany
Me thinks a couple of days, maybe no longer than four. Mine never lasts that long anyway as we usually drink it all. This year we are making wine for the first time. I know you can freeze it but again I have never tried.

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Jan 31, 2005
Germany
I've moved demijohns before while still fermenting and it didn't make any difference. I suppose as long as you don't swish it around too much it shouldn't matter. Bet you can't wait till it's ready :D How did you make your wine? I just used birch sap, raisins and lemon juice. Aha, just found the recipe, I couln't see it when I looked last. I didn't use orange or lemon rind. Be interested in the difference, if there is any.

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Cant wait,got 2 demijons left now and 4 litres of birch sap in the fridge ready to make today.And ive just remembered your thread on elderflower wine,so with my last demijon I will have a go at your recipe

I like to keep to natural ingredients. I don't like the idea of adding stuff that I don't know 'where it's been' or what is in it. I used the recipe from the Roger Phillips book Wild Food. I have got other recipes but not as simple as that one. You need:

1 pint elderflowers
1kg sugar
450g raisins
juice of 2 lemons
4 1/2 litres water
1 well beaten egg white

Boil water, sugar, raisins, egg white for 1hr
Start yeast (i used general purpose wine yeast)
Leave liquid to cool then add in elderflowers, lemon juice and yeast and leave to ferment in a bucket for 3days
Put into fermenting jar and leave to ferment
When completely clear bottle it and keep for at least 3 months before drinking

The most important thing is to keep everything you use really clean.

Happy Wine Making!!!!!!

Thanks missy,just need to find the elderflowers now mmmmmm???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE