Birch sap tap.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Roving Rich said:
I think I need to try this ASAP ;)
The Cherry trees are already in blossom here ! Spring is on its way, and I still haven't cut the hedge back.
Cheers
Rich

I tested the birch yesterday. They aren't ready yet. I'll have a look at Sycamore this afternoon hopefully.

Richard

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Birch here appear to be ready, though my test was a rather unscientific prod with the point of my knife. And that reminds me, I really must take the tops out of the conifers today before their sticky sap makes the job ten times harder.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
dave k said:
whisky with ice - no no no!!
It's got to be served at room temperature, with a bit of water..

:D

I beg to differ there old bean. A Macallan Oak aged with a birch sap ice cube is the business.

Leon, stab your knife point sideways on and lift, wait a few seconds. If it starts to drip you're on. Push the bark down afterwards.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
stick your knife in the tree and wrench it upwards a little to make a small opening. Leave this for a few mins and see if any sap starts to drip out. You need stick your knife through both layers of bark into the main wood.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok i will try that tommorow, it may be ready or it might not, if its not how long do you suggest i leave it untill i try again ?
leon

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
billycan said:
Greg, yes the water from the birch is safe to drink, the tree cleans it.

Guys dont forget the humble Sycamore as well, there are far more Sycamores about and the sap is pretty good.

Do you just tap sycamore in exactly the same way? And can you dring the sap straight from the tree without doing anything to it?

Also what does it taist like? :)

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
yes, within reason, if its on top of some nuclear waste then clearly its not going to filter out radiation, but yes it will be clean and Sycamore is done the same way.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Try drinking it!!! You ca apparently make a beer or mead from it but I wouldn't know how to do that! Tell us what you think of it,do you think it tastes a little like syruppy sugary water?

I missed last years sap rising as I was in Iraq, this year all my kit is in Germany and I'm here in UK!!! I go back on the 15th though, so I may get back in time.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Keen not to miss it this year. I have a medium sized birch. Drilled a hole slightly upward, about 3 cm. I come back each weekend to unplug it, and see if anything is flowing, but so far no luck. Anybody else had success yet? I also have found a large sycamore - I presume the technique is the same, for testing.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I feel relatively new to identifying trees, the summer just gone was my first real attempt at trying to look for and identify Birch trees. I wish I got on the job and identified more, now its winter it'll be harder for me, I know of two areas in my mind that I might visit.

Any recommendations on identifying Birch in Winter and are all types of Birch tap'able?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Look for a white barked tree, that'll be silver birch. Take a closer look at the bark and you will see it peels off going around the tree as opposed to going straight up, and the peelings are very papery. You will probably find a stand of them together, they grow fairly quickly I think and they soon take over. The papery bark will light even when wet due to a natural oil in the bark, and it gives of a slightly black oily smoke when it burns. There will be little buds on the tips of the branches, and I think they grow along the sides aswell but I can't quite remember.

There's bound to be an online guide somewhere!!

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Biddlesby said:
Keen not to miss it this year. I have a medium sized birch. Drilled a hole slightly upward, about 3 cm. I come back each weekend to unplug it, and see if anything is flowing, but so far no luck. Anybody else had success yet? I also have found a large sycamore - I presume the technique is the same, for testing.

The birch trees around here have just started. I'll be placing a tap tonight when I take the dogs out for a walk.

John

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
I tapped a birch over the weekend and had 3 litres after 12 hours. It tasted delicioulsy fresh in the cold morning with just a tiny hint of sweetness. I've reserved this batch for making wine and it was hard not to drink it.

A friend also tapped a field maple, the sap was much slower but he boiled a cupfull down into a syrup.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
it's flowing fast here in the midlands, I left a bottl overnight and it was overflowing when I collected it, tastes like slightly sugary water, I think I'll try some more tonight. Does anyone know how well it keeps?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE