Birch sap tap.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
I'm looking forward to trying this too, as are my girls who are constantly asking when they can go and tap a tree! :rolleyes:

Got myself a scotch eyed auger the other day off ebay for £2.50, a bargain i think by the looks of the other prices on tool sites.

I'm eager to learn the correct method for this, or should i say the correct method of repairing the tree afterwards so as not to damage it.

Is a simple carved plug enough?

Boosh.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think im going to make one, how did you sorta hollow it out ? did you use wood with a pith ?
leon

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
After watching RM in "Four Seasons" I have planned on doing a tap sometime next month, only thing I wouldn't mind knowing is where on the tree would be the best place to do the tap, I was thinking about 12" from the base.

Is this right or does it need to be closer to the base?

paulcd

Tenderfoot
I've done mine 2 feet from the base in the past and its been alright with that.
About this time last year(mid-Feb), I was taken to Bristol to do some work on some trees...it was mild like now, and I refused to work on several birch as pruning them severely hurts them at this time of year (the cuts are not supposed to heal properly, andinfection may get in the cuts). I did cut a badly formed one down, and that really bled loads.
My best guess would be to get tapping now...if that produces no results, tap the week after next after the next cold spell that is due...it should really be pumping then! all guns blazing for spring!
On the healing process, cut any plugs off that you use flush with the outer bark...the sooner the tree heals over, the less chance rot will get in. Choose a vigorous, younger tree, not one over about forty years old, as this may well be on its last legs anyway (they are pioneer species, short lived). Don't choose a favourite tree :) ...you may kill it.
www.yellowwood.co.uk

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks Paul,

I was planning on next week dependant on the weather.
One more thing which might sound a bit dull but does it have to be Silver Birch or can you also do the tap on a normal Birch tree?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am going to tap for the first time hopefully at the weekend, i take it the wood has the be dead ?
leon

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Nope living ,just remember to plug the hole afterwards and there will be no lasting damage .

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
leon-b said:
i am going to tap for the first time hopefully at the weekend, i take it the wood has the be dead ?
leon

did you mean you're going to make a tap, or you're going to tap a tree?

its a bit early for tapping birch methinks...

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i meant make a tap at the weekend, i think i will wait a bit longer untill spring sets in to use it
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ive started making mine, i have split the branch in half, hollowed it out and put a little notch in it, what do i do now ? do i just sharpen the end and then its done ?
when can i test it lol
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i read somewhere that the first two weeks of march are usually good but it changes depending on the weather
leon

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
yup, absolutely leon, you can never pinpoint it due to the variation in the weather each spring... but early March is a good guide.

You dont actually need to find a piece of hazel with a kink in it, a straight piece will work fine. Just make a groove down the centre with your crook/spoon knife and near the end cut a notch on each side of the groove for the loop/bale handle of your billy to sit in, to stop it sliding off

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE