Birch Oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My first posting so not sure the best place for this one.

I got loads of Silver Birch to play with and was wondering if anyone had distiller the oil form the bark. If so how did you do it?

Seem to recall it way on Ray's programme about Russia a few month ago (missed the repeat).

B

bushboy1

its easy

first get a metal container and fill it with rolled up bark
then pierce a hole in the tin
next dig a small hole and put another tin in it
then put your other tin on top of it
put a lid on top of the one on top
light a fire on it and wait for it to burn out
and there you go...

you might want better advise :)

Yeagh u r right Toddygoodjob

I made it after we met at L Tay and by eck it takes alot of bark to get very little! Very usefull to have that knowledge.

You know after R M's northern wilderness on the squak box; the lovely ornamental paper birches at Luss have been stripped of their bark in the same style as those birches that were stripped to make the tooth patterns RM was shown except they went too deep...:vio:
WS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:(
Sometimes I don't think we teach it often enough, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Loch Lomond side has too many people in too small an area far too often as it is. Damage like that is becoming ever more obvious.
There's a temptation to say that programmes and books like RM's need disclaimers, but where do you stop/ draw the line ? :dunno:

cheers,
M

B

bushboy1

its ok m8 i got bored and went to the last page and decided to add to 1

:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE