birch for smoking

EdS

I've got a few days off and I though I might make some jerky via smoking.

I've got some fruit wood and a few bits of ash and oak plus a whole load of part seasoned silver birch (dry enough to burn and green enough to smoke gently).

Anyone used birch for smoking and if so what is the flavour like.

Either that or I'm going to have to cut some more logs.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Ed,
I was just wondering if the bark on the birch might not make for oily smoke,potentially knacking up your jerky.

I'm not saying it will ruin the job mind you, it's a question added to your original question, I suppose:confused:
I know that it tends to produce sooty deposits and that set me a thinking:rolleyes:
I'm sure someone will clarify all shortly;)
cheers
R.B.

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I've used rotten birch for an overnight smudge fire a couple of times but it's been for mackerel.
Mixed in with the broken up logs was dry oak on one occassion and assorted driftwood sticks on the other.
Tasted fine. Not as nice as using oak alone but not tainted at all. Fish were all still in their skins and so oily that it maybe doesn't compare to jerky.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I wouldn't think that the birch (minus bark) will give much particular flavour, just a general smokey taste? I've used oak and cherry and they give different flavours, but birch wood tends to be bland in taste/smell.

worth a try at least I think :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE