Birch bark/wooden fishing "bag".

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Took some pictures of my traditional birch bark/wooden fishing container.
My grandmother and grandfather mede med this when I was around 12 yrs old, so it is abt 25 years old now.
I have never used it for fishing, I am to afraid to breake it, so it is displayed on the wall in our summer cabin. But a different variety of these conainers were used for holding the fish fresh during the fishing. It also makes it more difficult for flies to get access to the fish. I have also seen them with smaller containers attached to each side, one for holding earth worms, and one for holding hooks, sinkers and such.

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

A small design fault here. The inner lining sheet should be faced the other way round, with the inner bark facing in.
DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

Detail. This one has nails, but wooden pegs were ofte used, and I have also seen one sewn with spurce roots.

Last edited:

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I've never used it, and it has always been on display indoors . This is the work of my grandparents, and it has great sentimental value for me.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Wow, that looks magnificent a true piece of beauty, will be using this to show people the wide range of utilities wood and bark can be used for that for sharing this great treasure.
Yours sincerely Ruud

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Thanks mates.
The best thing with this kind of thing is that the properties of the birch bark will help the fish stay fresh for longer. The trout stays fresh for a whole summer day when put in one of these.
Some of the old guys still use them when fishing in small rivers and creeks.

BTW Hamish; the norwegian word for this kind of "bags" are "fiskeskrukke" or "neverskrukke" (but it probably has different names in different dialects). "never" is the norwegian word for birch bark.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE