Birch bark tinder ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Hi all,

still finding my feet with firestarting, but after having a good ol mooch around the wood at the end of our road, ive come across some fallen Birch. I thinks, ah, ah time to test it with my new fire steel. Ive peeled a few pieces off and took it home to have a go.
Even though im pretty good at getting sparks, it wasnt lighting. I was indeed using thin pieces, but it still seemed too thick.
Can you someone please give ,me some tips on lighting Birch bark. Are there different ' grades ' ?

Cheers all,

Im pretty sure it was Birch, but im far from being an expert.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Paul,

If its birch bark there should be bits hanging off it that resemble dead skin after sunburn (yuck but that thin). A good pice can be pulled apart with nails to make thinner than tissue papper strands.

The aren't all good. Lay a sheet flat on th ground and put your knife blade at 90 degrees to it. Pressing lightly scrape from side to side to give powder and ribbons. Scrape - don't cut. Imagine trying to scrape burn't stuff off a coooker or pan.

Gather all this in the middle of the sheet and drop a load of "fizzing" sparks on it - it should go first time

Red

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Hi,

Old trees can produce some very thick bark that is not much good. Cherry is at times confused for old birch trees too.

If you find a bright white silver birch the thin papery bark will shed naturally and is very thin, this is the stuff you want! It will take a spark quite easily so you should have no problems once you find the right one.

Best wishes
Kris

Hi all,

still finding my feet with firestarting, but after having a good ol mooch around the wood at the end of our road, ive come across some fallen Birch. I thinks, ah, ah time to test it with my new fire steel. Ive peeled a few pieces off and took it home to have a go.
Even though im pretty good at getting sparks, it wasnt lighting. I was indeed using thin pieces, but it still seemed too thick.
Can you someone please give ,me some tips on lighting Birch bark. Are there different ' grades ' ?

Cheers all,

Im pretty sure it was Birch, but im far from being an expert.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Get some downy seeds such as thistle or reedmace(bullrush), Thistle being the best in my experience, think anything like a dandelion(would work but too time consuming to collect enough) and use a handful of this fluff to catch the spark. The flame doesnt last long so you will need birch bark prepared as Red suggest as well to catch the flame. Another thing I practised my technique with was ciggarette papers, torn into strips but now I can usually get birch bark shavings going after a coupel of strikes after cheating with ciggy paper to practice!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Paul,

If its birch bark there should be bits hanging off it that resemble dead skin after sunburn (yuck but that thin). A good pice can be pulled apart with nails to make thinner than tissue papper strands.

The aren't all good. Lay a sheet flat on th ground and put your knife blade at 90 degrees to it. Pressing lightly scrape from side to side to give powder and ribbons. Scrape - don't cut. Imagine trying to scrape burn't stuff off a coooker or pan.

Gather all this in the middle of the sheet and drop a load of "fizzing" sparks on it - it should go first time

Red

What Red said ;)

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Cheers for the advice guys. Will be having another mooch in the woods on Sunday so will give it another go.

Just tried the fluff from our drier as tinder. lit on the second strike, was even a bit damp !

Cheers all.

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE