Binoculars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hello there. Now that I'm at college and I've got plenty of free time, its finally about time I started to get outside and learn more about nature. I've got Collins Pocket Guides to Trees, Wild Flowers & Birds. However for bird spotting I could do with some Binoculars. Preferably as cheap as possible without being naff as I'm a student still looking for a part time job! Does anybody have any suggestions? Would this monocular be any good to start with?

Any help is appreciated as always.:D

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I was surprised at the apparent quality of a pair of Bushnells 8x25's I saw in PC world of all places. About £40 from what I remember.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I don't think that monocular would be much good to you for birdwatching, the objective lens is a tad small and hence its light gathering qualities will not be good. Martini Daves's suggestion is pretty much on the money, 8x to 10x magnification is all you need for general spotting and an objective lens (ideally) from 32mm up to 50mm will stand you in good stead. At 50mm and above you get weight penalties for not much more performance. A half decent set of bins ( a good compact set will be 8x 32 or 8 x 40) will set you back between £60 and £90 but there are cheaper options.

There have been a few good threads here on binoculars over the last year - do a search. As I recall, a few folk recommended a site which sold bins for around £20 but I can't recall the name.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
7 day shop were doing a set for £19 delivered. I got a set and they are very good and nice and bright. I don't think they have any at the moment so they are no longer listed but Amazon has a description of them here...

If you can get a pair they are very good bins for under a score!

Steve.

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Opticron Oregon 8x32 mate.

You can get them for £85 from a few places, don't pay any more.

Just about the best sub £100 bins you'll find.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i recently got a set of 8 x 42 opticrons about £120 but well worth the money i have had many sets in the past but the clarity on brightness on these is amazing for the price

think they are trailfinders of the top of my head

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE