binoculars?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
hi all - im in the market for a pair of second hand bino's - aside from the obvious what should i be looking for?

there are all manner of charity shops around here that i will be checking out so all tips welcome.

andy

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
Depends what you want them for. I've got a 10 X 42 pair of Leicas I used to use for bird watching. Excellent colour definition and the optics are so good one can make out stuff that you will fail to see properly with higher magnification cheaper bins. Yours for £550 including insured postage.

Look for exterior damage. Make sure that there are no rattles if you shake them. Look for any marks on the lenses, and, when looking through them, watch out for misting or water droplets in them. Obviously check that both lenses will focus for your eyes.

Nigel.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I hunted around for a set for a while and gave in with the charity shops, so (based on a recommendation here) went for the 7dayshop 10x42, and I'm really pleased with them. OK, so haven't got a set of Leica's to compare them with, but they seem well made, the image is clear and the price was £25.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Hello , i agree with Nigel's advice, i would also check that they focus correctly and smoothly on both near and far objects and that there aren't any obvious issues with 'double vision' or collimation problems. Second hand (and new) binoculars can easily have been bumped or knocked out of alignment.
There is plenty of good information online about checking collimation, if there is a problem it might not be immediately obvious but the binoculars will be tiring and unpleasant to use.

As i understand it, a fairly quick way to check is to focus on a distant feature that has a straight horizontal line, like a roof top or power line or fence. If the line does not align/meet in the centre of your field of view, then there is an issue. If you keep the image of the horizontal line in the binoculars and slowly move your eyes back from the binoculars you should be able to see even small misalignment in the images (ie, if the line appears higher in one eyepiece than in the other). If there is an obvious problem with the collimation then i wouldn't bother with them (unless they are a real bargain and worth sending away for a good service).
Hope that helps and good luck with the search:)

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
Buy fixed power, not zoom.

Stick to low power ones, i.e. in the 7- to 10-power range. I personally wouldn't go higher than 8-power as magnification amplifies your hand wobble as well as the size of what you're looking at.

Try to find bins made by a major Japanese camera company, e.g. Nikon, Minolta or Pentax.

Avoid fake German-sounding names like "Schpleiffel & Ziltz". They will be Taiwanese monkey metal and old Coke bottles.

A good spec would be 7x50 if size isn't an issue; 8 x 30 if you need to go smaller; 7 x 21 or 8 x 24 if you need tiny.

Once bought, never lend them to anyone. Repeat, never. They will lose them, bash them against a wall or "clean" the lenses with WD40...

Factor in the cost of a lens cleaning set, e.g. puffer brush or "canned air", lens cleaning solution and a proper lens cleaning cloth.

Did I mention never to lend them to anyone?

maximus otter

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
cheers otter - the advice is much appreciated.

went to the shop today but it was closed. just as well really.

yes i am in the market for something around the 7 or 8x mag. lens size isnt an issue - but i don't fancy particularly small ones.

HC - much appreciated mate - wouldn't have checked any of that if you hadn't posted it up.

many thanks all

andy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My advice is not to buy anything without having tried it. Even if you think you are buying a good quality make, and the price appears to reflect this, this is no guarantee that you will get what you want.

I bought a second hand pair of Leitz Trinovid 8x40s with rubber armor in 1997. They were about £350 from a camera shop in Bath, the new generation Leica of the time were £650. The glasses I got were and are excellent, but sadly I don't use them nearly as much as I would like because of the weight. They are great in the dusk, but you need to know you are going to be using them to go ahead and pack them. This isn't an advert for premium glass so much as a warning about buying bigger than you really need.

My mum did very happily for a number of years with a pair of 8 or 9x26 Practica things that I picked up in a Hong Kong camera shop for about £20. She would still be happy with them except that the faux rubber armor, more like just ruberised surface, suddenly and spontaneously perrished and went all gummy. It took about six years before that happened, so she did get some use out of them.

Since a new pair were needed I went shopping last year and tried out quite a lot of little glasses. I bought some Nikons for about £80 that on paper looked just the thing. The were total carp and were promptly sent back for a refund. I was quite impressed by Opticron Taigas, could focus way out there, fairly solid, not too much backlash in the focus mechanism. I was impressed with some small Steiners too, but after trying those, and a whole bunch of Minox, I would up with an ultra small set of Zeiss for about £250.:eek::eek: Again, not an add for the most expensive things going, they happened to tick the most boxes of everything I had found.

I wanted very compact and was then told they didn't need armor, I wanted good roll down eye cups to use with eye glasses, the focus had to be solid and free from backlash, the image had to be bright and fairly distortion free to the edge of the view. I wanted good range of focus (the Nikons quickly maxed out so anything from about 60m to infinity had to be viewed on the same setting). I found that going and trying lots of glasses was better than surfing any number of internet pages. There was quite a lot of difference between models/ranges even within the same brand.

Charity shops around here don't carry any glasses to speak of. Camera shops seem to have higher odds of success for finding some second hand binos, but you could still have to cast a very wide net.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think you chaps have over estimated my means.

I wont be spending any way near a fortune on these bino's.

Im just after a pair for general use when out and about and when hunting.

my parents have a very nice pair at home but they are too big (and at home! lol)

cheers

andy

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Im just after a pair for general use when out and about and when hunting.

my parents have a very nice pair at home but they are too big (and at home! lol)

cheers

andy

If you want something compact but still useful in low light then i think something around 8x32 or 8x36 is a good compromise: they are reasonably compact and will still perform at dawn and dusk. I've got some nikon monarchs in 8x36 and 8x42 and the 8x36 are much smaller but still impressively bright in low light.
If monarchs are more than you want to spend then nikon sporter 8x36 might fit the bill if you can find them. Warehouse express were doing them at bargain prices (i think they were reduced to about £60) so might be worth a look around.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Having re-read my post it does sound like I am suggesting spending lots.

That wasn't my intent.

I meant to recommend looking lots. There are lots of glasses at all price ranges and at any price there are some that are better than others. If you haven't been able to take the time to try a sellection within your price range you might wind up with a pair which you find are less than ideal for you in the long run. Going with "name" brands, or even internet reviews may not get you the best quality/deal.

The better country shows often have loads of stands selling optics. I have seen quite a few such stands at the CLA and Midland game fairs. I have been told there is a big bird watching show that gets held near Rutland, there may be other such shows elsewhere a little later in the year. These might let you look at more glasses in a shorter time than cruising camera/charity shops.

Binos can be a very personal thing. Best of luck finding some that suit you :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Keep an eye on Freegle / Freecycle.

I picked up a pair of vintage Switft "Super Tecnar Zoom" 6-12 x 32s for free earlier today - the zoom is broken and they were filthy with a capital FILT but, 45 minutes with some lens cleaning solution, some cotton buds, a lens cloth and a screwdriver has the zoom set to minimum on both lenses and beautifully clear optics which, for their size, transmit a surprising amount of light.

I'm no lens freak or expert, but I've had a few different pairs of bins, telescopes, cameras, microscopes and telescopic sights over the years and can categorically state that, for the money, these are the best ;)

Cheers,

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
At the other end of the spectrum (sorry!) there should be some second-hand high-end bargains to be had as Swarovski owners trade up to the new HD models. I'm told these set new standards for clarity but then the old model wasn't exactly bad!

Cheers

Last edited:

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
I bought a Steiner Hunting 8x42 aftermarket for 200,00 Euros few monts ago. I'm in love with this bino, it's great especially for the focus system (you don't need to re-focus anytime, just first time and that's it).
I agree about no-zoom, no more than 8x.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Well worth looking in the second hand shops.

The east German Carl Zeiss Jena porro prism binos were sold in large quantities in the 1960s-1980s and are truly excellent, even by todays standards. The later models (marked multi -coated) are better still. The 8x30s go for £40-£110 on ebay but there is always a chance of getting a pair for much less in the second hand shops.

Most of the binos I see in these shops are Japanese made porro prisms from 20 years ago or more. If the collimation is ok (make sure you get no double vision or headaches) then they are often not bad. I find that pairs with a case are in generally better condition than those without.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
cheers guys.

yes I will be keeping an eye out for a bargain.

can you chaps give me a list of makes to look out for in particular?

some one said that camera brands are worth looking out for.

cheers

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Russian optics are generally good. They have a slight yellow cast but this improves contast. The 8x30s are copies of the Zeiss Jena.

Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski are top notch - unlikely to available at a low price but you never know. I use Zeiss 8x42FLs myself.

Next comes Minox, Meopta, Optolyth, Steiner, Kahles, used East Geman Zeiss Jena, Nikon's top end - mostly around £200-£400 new, but you could get lucky used

Then the big Japanese brands: low end nikon, Canon etc; and the Russian stuff. There are also various brands of Japanese or Chinese manufacture which vary from good to dreadful. Hawke produce some very nice binos of Chinese manufacture but they might be above your price range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE