Bino advice needed

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone that knows their binoculars.

A friends partner is looking at buying him a new set as a present. She is currently looking to buy either a Bushnell Legend or an Olympus EXPS, 12-50.

He is quite outdoorsy, mostly into hillwalking and climbing and flys helicopters for a living. So sounds like something for the rucksack but of good quality.

Any thoughts on these two or any thoughts on ones similar?

Cheers

George

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A friends partner ... looking to buy either a Bushnell Legend or an Olympus EXPS, 12-50. ... mostly into hillwalking and climbing and flys helicopters ... sounds like something for the rucksack but of good quality.

You haven't given anything like enough information. You can't really use binoculars while you're flying a helicopter, you need one hand for the stick and the other for the lever. :) Binoculars are very personal things, I'd recommend that your friend should reads some binocular "use" and "buying" guides - there are hundreds of them about on the Internet, most give good advice. If two or three of them agree on some aspect of the advice it's probably good advice.

...or any thoughts on ones similar?

Why "ones similar"? You seem to be saying that the decision is practically made already. That's a bit strange. I'd say that the first thing to decide is the two numbers, then whether or not they are to be waterproof, then what the third number (the price:)) should be. Everything about binoculars is a compromise except possibly the distance of closest focus, which if I were buying them I'd say shouldn't be more than a couple of metres. Binoculars with 50mm lenses are quite a lot bulkier than those with 30 or 40mm lenses but are still just about portable enough for walking. My personal view is that for portable hand-held use, 7x50 or 8x50 are about the best, but it does depend a lot on your hands and what else you're carrying. I find even fairly large binoculars comfortable to hold but not everyone does. If I wanted to take a pair of binoculars camping (unlikely) I'd probably take my 8x30s as they're much more compact than x50s. Actually if I'm going to travel and haven't any particularly planned need for binoculars I'll probably take a small monocular. Magnification as high as 12x is definitely too much for hand held use unless they have image stabilization (IS). Even if the image is steady (with 12x magnification without IS you're looking for a wall or a tree most of the time) it will be a lot less bright in 12x50 than it will in 7x50, so in poor light the higher magnification will be a disadvantage. Bear in mind that there's a very big difference between no magnification and 7x, but not very much between 7x and 12x. I've used cheap binoculars and expensive ones. If I bought expensive I'd worry about leaving them on a train, or breaking them, or having them stolen. I can buy half a dozen pairs of cheap binoculars for less than the price of one expensive pair so I can both cover a wider range of uses (as I don't have to pick just one magnification/size) and get a lot more use out of them because there's always a pair handy. Having said that, binoculars with good optical quality can be worth the extra money as long as you don't drop them off the face of a cliff while you're climbing. I have some rubber armoured waterproof binoculars with a built-in compass but I only use them when sailing on boats, and the compass is only any use on boats that aren't made of steel.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Ged

I take your point about the helicopter after flying in many in my time but there are many times when there are two pilots and he is free to use binoculars.

The advice is for his partner who knows nothing about binoculars and she asked me. I know nothing about binoculars personally and that is why I asked on this forum. That is what this forum is about.

I can see you know a lot about the subject but my question was about what people thought about the types she was looking at or to maybe recommend another type.

Thanks for passing on your knowledge and I will send to her your thoughts on things to consider about buying a pair of binoculars for her partner.

Cheers

George

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Have a look on www.birdforum.net for reviews and opinions on most makes of bins'.

If viewing from a moving chopper then 7x mag' is the maximum usable unless the bins are canon stabilised models.

It's a very difficult question to answer and choice of bins should be a personal thing after researching products and then actually trying them in the hand.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Have a look on www.birdforum.net for reviews and opinions on most makes of bins'.

If viewing from a moving chopper then 7x mag' is the maximum usable unless the bins are canon stabilised models.

It's a very difficult question to answer and choice of bins should be a personal thing after researching products and then actually trying them in the hand.

Good point and one I'd agree with.

My father has a pair of the Canon image stabilised binos. I tried them head to head with my Zeiss 8x42FL (which are much more expensive). In typical daylight, I had markedly better resolution with the Canon, when used hand held, standing. I then tried resting the binos on a stick, and the Zeiss won easily in that situation.

I think that the limiting factor for binos over £100 or so is not optical quality, but the ability to hod them steady.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Cheers for the advice guys.

I will look at the reviews at birdforum and also look at the Canon and Zeiss range.

You are quite right in that they are a very personal thing to buy so I will ask her to think about getting his opinion on them as opposed to being a surprise present.

Cheers for the headstart.

George

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
+1 for Carl Zeiss here. My dad got me a pair for a birthday, magnificent old ones but in perfect nick, absolutely unused, can't remember the specs off the top of my head but I doubt they are in production anymore anyway.

In fact I'm so impressed with them I'm actually concerned to take them anywhere they might get some rough use as the last thing I want to do is ruin them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE