Bimble, badgers, make shift windsheild, fox, hawk and chestnut tree. PICTURE HEAVY!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was fortunate enough today that I did not have to work. We had had a thin but crisp layer of snow blanket the area I live in. What better way to spend the morning than going on a massive bimble!

I first started out at 6:45am going out to see how bad the roads were - I ended up following some rabbit tracks in the verge for ages before remembering that my cup of tea was getting cold back at home.

I suggested to SWMBLT, who had to go out today and therefore had exclusive rights to the Shogun :( , that it would be a good idea to drop me off in the countryside so that I might be able to have a stroll in the snow. After several exchanges of expletives and her references to me having to perform various strange acts such as housework, washing-up and the like - I began to pack a small daypack with my usual "travel light" kit - army trangia, 1 lt. water, brew kit, several apples, fire kit, several knives < I believe that you can never carry too many knives>, camera etc. I also remembered to refill the trangias meths bottle.

As it was still around -3 in the valley I decided to give my Nanok Reversible S/F Pants a try out. As I didn't want to be too warm I only wore Helly Lifa longjohns and long sleeve top. The jacket I took was Snugpak Sleeka - that I bought used as I'm prone to forcing myself through undergrowth in it and it has many snags in the material - still a nice bit of kit mind. The ensemble was completed with my new pair of Lowa Mountain Boots, Shemagh and woollen hat.

SWMBLT dropped me off and my bimble began :D

Jan07_01.jpg

As I set off the sky seemed to be laden with snow and the wind was cold enough to warrant the clothing I was wearing.

I was soon engrossed in the countryside and it was not long before I was tracking fox and badger footprints in the snow.

Jan07_03.jpg

I followed the badger tracks to one of my favourite setts that appears, due to the amount of earth that has been moved, to be very old indeed.

Jan07_02.jpg

Where the snow had not been able to settle and the ground was soft I found some lovely foot and claw marks left by Brock.

Jan07_04.jpg

The sett has multiple entrances many of which, like the one below, show just how well used this sett is.

Jan07_05.jpg

It was clearly visible to see where the badgers had used this entrance and their backs had polished the clay smooth.

Jan07_06.jpg

The top of the main sett is very loose, un-compacted soil. There was obviously some major digging going on here in the early morning as the soil had been spread over the already fallen snow.

Jan07_07.jpg

Having had a good look around I decided that a brew was in order. I extended my bimble on a mile or so to a ridge that overlooks the valley that I live in.

Jan07_10.jpg

At the top of the ridge I found the shelter of a holly tree where the snow had melted and thought this a nice spot for my brew. So I set to and unpacked the kit I need. Shock, Horror - I'd left the trangias windshield come base on the cooker at home. I was determined to have a hot drink so upon inspecting my surroundings I managed to gather some rag stone and a piece of hazel to fashion the below: -

Jan07_08.jpg

Job done :D

Jan07_09.jpg

One apple and one hot soup later I was feeling much better. As I was about to pack my kit away and move on I noticed movement in the field behind me - it was a fox about 50 yards or so away from me. (If anybody has any comments about their opinions of foxes please save it for another thread) As I was downwind of the fox I managed to get my camera out and move quietly into a better position. The fox was crossing the wind sniffing - pausing then pouncing, I guess vole or mice were it's prey. In my excitement to get some pictures I managed to alter some of the settings on my camera, so quality is not too good at all on the next two shots I'm afraid.

Jan07_11.jpg

Jan07_12.jpg

After watching the fox for about 15 minutes it vanished into the far corner of the field.

I continued to pack up and get ready to move off when I was treated to a fly-past by a male Sparrow Hawk. Beautiful birds that I often see around here - we occasionally get them in the garden.

Although the snow was now melting I decided to try tracking the fox. With not too much effort I picked up its trail and began to follow. The field rises up then drops away. As I mounted the brow in the field with head down and eyes on the foot prints the fox and I came face to face - prolly 20 yards away from each other - this made the both of us jump and the fox took flight. I was a shame not to get some better pictures.

I then moved to the headland of the field and continued my bimble along the hedgerow. I guess that I was really a little off-piste, but never mind. In the corner of the field I noticed for the first time a most magnificent sweet chestnut tree that must be truly ancient - the girth of the trunk is enormous and this picture does it no justice: -

Jan07_13.jpg

Next time I'm up that way I will take my 50m tape measure to record the size of the trunk.

Anyway after 4 or so hours it was time to come home.

And that was my morning bimble.

<EDIT> Thought I'd just add my favourite picture of the day to this thread: -

Jan07_14.jpg

Phil.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sweet :D
I love seeing other folks bits of the world, especially when they really know their area and the other creatures that live in it too.

Thank-you.

Cheers,
Toddy

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Nice thread and cool pictures. You have caught the colouring of the Fox perfectly in the second shot well done.

I've only recently taken an interest in tracking so it was nice to see tracks in situ.

Both my wife and I were a little surprised to see such activity from badgers though as we always thought they were pretty much a hibernating this time of year

Cheers for sharing!

P

chrisanson said:
good stuff m8. what camara have ya got?

chris

Hey Chris,

I have an old Fuji 6900 - I must have had it nearly 6 years. It's bulky, slow, cumbersome, etc. by todays standards - but I really like it and have taken it everywhere, stuffed it into bergens, left it in the damp conditions,hot sun blah, blah - wish I never paid for the 5 years extra cover now as it has never missed a beat!

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE